I'll be working on this next...

Started by JudgeDredd, September 05, 2017, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

And here we go...

The instructions

And the parts. This is a very simple kit, though the plastic is not great quality with a lot of burr needing sanding off

I had seen a build where someone said they had removed the solid panels on the girder layout on the capsules. Tried it, didn't like how it was going.

So I'm following what the build said in my Airfix Modellers World mag - colour it in with permanent marker. This is just a test - the model will be getting primed then painted then I'll colour those bits in

Already starting to take shape

I'm soooo excited about this project. When I was a kid a couple of pals at school were lucky enough to own the Corgi diecast model and I was well jealous. I just can't believe - after all these years - I'm not just going to have an Eagle - but one that I made myself  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Can't wait to see this finished. I remember putting together this model in the late 70s.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

So I primed the parts last night. NIGHTMARE!

I've got Stynylrez primer which is often referred to as the best self levelling primer around. Trouble is - it's thick. I had to set my compressor to a whopping 40-50psi to blow the stuff out and even then it as intermittent.

I either need to find a better primer (thinner one) or get another airbrush with a bigger needle capacity. My 0.35mm needle and I've heard tell you need a .5 to fire Stynylrez primer through with no issues.

After the priming issues - and lots of airbrush cleaning, I started painting the white parts tonight. Unfortunately, 2 issues jumped up...

• I ran out of white paint having used a whole 10ml jar
  • My compressor is on the blink. The motor starts up when not using it, the pressure drops about 5-10psi when starting to spray and also it cut out from overheating

Anyway - I did get the priming done and most of the white paint. As you can see, I haven't went for the full "fill and sand"

Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Thanks  O0

The white on top of the grey primer has turned out ok....giving it a kind of off white so it's not so stark.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

The decals for this model are an absolute nightmare. They're slightly too big for most areas and they are so brittle...I don't know how many I've broken so far. The ones that broke that I could "piece" together I have - but they are just horrendous.

Even just sliding them off the paper backing has been resulting in breakages!

Pics to follow.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 01, 2017, 05:30:54 AM
The decals for this model are an absolute nightmare. They're slightly too big for most areas and they are so brittle...I don't know how many I've broken so far. The ones that broke that I could "piece" together I have - but they are just horrendous.

Even just sliding them off the paper backing has been resulting in breakages!

Pics to follow.

If you have not sealed them yet you could start over with a fresh set:

http://hdamodelworx.com/DECAL-SET-FOR-SPACE-EAGLE-172-SCALE-MODEL-KIT-MPC791-MPC816_p_229.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPACE-1999-EAGLE-DECALS-MPC-PE-12-inch-Models-Cockpit-Pilots-Details-/252885391565?hash=item3ae124d8cd:g:63MAAOSwSlBYw7Ek (stickers, not water-slide)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Aw thanks....but they're on.

I'm happy enough with the result. A few minor tears that are either in inconspicuous parts or partly/mostly hidden

Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

JudgeDredd

And pretty much finished. I only have the little thruster things to put on

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart