Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by son_of_montfort, December 19, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

So.... this popped up on RPS this morning:

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

"Realistic Open World First-Person Medieval RPG" set in 1403. Done by developers known for their realism and detail? Umm..... YES PLEASE! Not a lot of info out on this yet, but it promises to be worth following. Also, it seems to be set in the Holy Roman Empire, which will certainly be of interest for some of you folks.

Here is the teaser:
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

The bad news: it is scheduled to release in 2015. So we have some time to wait.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

Fascinating.  Looks like one to keep an eye on.  Thanks SoM

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

2015 isn't too far off...thanks for posting, definitely right in my wheelhouse.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on December 19, 2013, 01:28:38 PM
2015 isn't too far off...thanks for posting, definitely right in my wheelhouse.

It's only 612 years after 1403.  Which, by the way, should answer some puzzles about the game:

1) Czech?  1403? Check! The Hussites are about to invent pistols and howitzers.
2) Rock paper shotgun seems to think that 1403 is somehow the end of the HRE.
3) But no.  The HRE defeated the Hussites and and their wagonburgers and went on to reorganize itself and end the Schizmatic Antipapacy and work out the administrative Circle System and discover Copernicus, reinvent the wheel, and survive until 1802 or even 1806.
4) However....1403 is an interesting moment for the HRE and the Aztec Empires.  Let's hope they keep them well separated, though.

MengJiao

Quote from: Martok on December 19, 2013, 12:38:28 PM
Fascinating.  Looks like one to keep an eye on.  Thanks SoM!

Form the comments in RPS -- this is somehow related, maybe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L-eKBZrcl0&feature=youtu.be&t=3m35s

MengJiao

Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 19, 2013, 11:33:01 AM

ooops, more bad news: Americans will not like this game, say European Publishers (according to the Warhorse blog):

One of the biggest blows was being turned down by a very promising, international publishing company. Although the U.S.-based wing of the corporation seemed very excited about the project, their European representative let us know that they didn't think the game would fly with Americans

Well, I guess we all know the problem with Americans -- they don't have much exposure to the basics assumed in historical narratives.
   I know the whole concept of Schizmatic Antipopes always makes me cough up large chunks of unwholesome cheeseburger products and reach for a gin-laced Kentucky-Bourbon (sp?...betternow!) flagon (!) of bloodwarm mulled Coca-Cola.  I've been reading to much RPS lately.
   AND, my wholesome, free-range upbringing has made me leery of all of the Church councils -- and especially dubious about the Council of Constance (1415) -- why I named my first Pony "No Counciliary Condemnations" -- (not really) -- which burned Jan Hus despite his safe-conduct pass from the HRE -- and I named my first tractor "Hus" in his honor.
    So no wonder European Publishers are leery of the game.  They just know in their hearts, uh, that Americans will not like it.

tgb

If they don't have Ned Beatty squealing like a pig they can't call it Deliverance.

MengJiao

Quote from: tgb on December 19, 2013, 02:27:34 PM
If they don't have Ned Beatty squealing like a pig they can't call it Deliverance.

ooops!  the american angle!  Perhaps this is what had the European Publishers worried!

Martok

Quote from: MengJiao on December 19, 2013, 02:22:35 PM

ooops, more bad news: Americans will not like this game, say European Publishers (according to the Warhorse blog):

One of the biggest blows was being turned down by a very promising, international publishing company. Although the U.S.-based wing of the corporation seemed very excited about the project, their European representative let us know that they didn't think the game would fly with Americans

...The hell?? 

Is it because the game doesn't take place in Europe that they think we're not interested?  Or that we uncultured Yanks don't appreciate history (or something)?  I'm more than a little baffled by their apparent conclusions.  ??? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MengJiao

Quote from: Martok on December 19, 2013, 02:48:40 PM

...The hell?? 

Is it because the game doesn't take place in Europe that they think we're not interested?  Or that we uncultured Yanks don't appreciate history (or something)?  I'm more than a little baffled by their apparent conclusions.  ???

Well, its pretty confusing since the Americans thought the Americans would like it, but the Europeans (mysteriously) assumed -- what?
It's not very clear what was supposed to not appeal to Americans -- Americans don't like games set in exotic locales?  Just in southern california?  Iowa?  Brazil?  Americans don't like games with swordplay?  Primitive Artillery?  Armor?  Horses? 

I'm baffled.

Greybriar

One of the biggest blows was being turned down by a very promising, international publishing company. Although the U.S.-based wing of the corporation seemed very excited about the project, their European representative let us know that they didn't think the game would fly with Americans....

Whoever expressed the opinion that Americans will not like the game must have been someone doing the rave reviews of games that stink, and also one of the compilers of the "Top 100 Games of All Time" ilk. Idiot.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Tpek

undercovergeek

Quote from: Martok on December 19, 2013, 02:48:40 PM

...The hell?? 

maybe its got irony in it?  :P

Staggerwing

Or sarcasm? I done heard that Pope Doug Piranha used sarcasm to great effect against English Heresies. Or rival popes or something. I dunno anymore.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys