Strategic Command Classic competition

Started by Boggit, May 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Paulo Paglianti at Slitherine has kindly donated 10 Steam codes of Strategic Command Classic so we can have a competition.

Having discussed the idea with Brant and Gus, we are thinking over the best way to run it. Brant's idea was best in our opinion, and is as follows:

We do 2 groups of 5

Everyone plays everyone in the group, so everyone gets at least 4 games

2 points for a win, 1 for a draw

Highest points in each group goes on to final

Second highest in each group play for 3rd place

Third highest for 5th, etc

If the final ends in a tie, they switch sides and play again.

We need to figure out how long we give folks for each of the group matches to get done.  3 days? 5 days?  Can't make it too long, b/c with 5-many groups, someone is sitting out each time they change dance partners.

I personally think 5 days is best as a long stop in case people have real life issues impacting, but otherwise agree with the three days as a "target". If you're interested then please let us know what you think.

But if we do it as a group play first, instead of straight knock-out rounds, then everyone gets 5 games - 4 in group play plus the 1 in the final standings round.

We are looking for 10 players, although we can accommodate more if the interest is there. If you already have the game, that's fine, you can participate, and if you need a Steam code to play in the competition then PM me, and I can send it out to you just before we start. However, I have only 10 codes, and when they are gone, they are gone...

So if you're interested, add your name below and we can start organising this.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Millipede

There are 3 versions of Strategic Command Classic... WWI, WWII and Global Conflict. Forgive my ignorance if I missed something but which one are we talking about?

Boggit

Quote from: Millipede on May 08, 2018, 04:50:01 PM
There are 3 versions of Strategic Command Classic... WWI, WWII and Global Conflict. Forgive my ignorance if I missed something but which one are we talking about?
You're right! I should have said. :-"

It's SC WW2.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

Yes, but even WW2 has Pacific Theater, Patton Drives East, and Weapons and Warfare.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Millipede

Quote from: bbmike on May 08, 2018, 06:46:01 PM
Yes, but even WW2 has Pacific Theater, Patton Drives East, and Weapons and Warfare.  :P
Not absolutely positive about this but I think that all the expansions apply to the original Battlefront release but aren't available (yet?) with the Matrix/Slitherine reboot.

My mistake! Just checked the Matrix website and they're all included in the reboot.

Boggit

So Millipede has signed up. Will his thousand feet stomp all comers? ;)

So Roll up, roll up! Who will give Millipede a run for his money?

I have 9 freebie Steam codes left.

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

ludi1867

I have played a LOT of SC so count me in! 

JasonPratt

I cannot even begin to figure out how to play a mp campaign of this game in only five days!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Millipede

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 09, 2018, 01:57:43 PM
I cannot even begin to figure out how to play a mp campaign of this game in only five days!  :D
I suspect that the various scenarios will come into play. There are a bunch included from the Pacific and ETO... Guadalcanal, Market Garden, Peleliu, D-Day etc.

Paolo Paglianti

Quote from: Boggit on May 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM
Paulo Paglianti at Slitherine has kindly donated 10 Steam codes of Strategic Command Classic so we can have a competition.

Having discussed the idea with Brant and Gus, we are thinking over the best way to run it. Brant's idea was best in our opinion, and is as follows:

On behalf of Slitherine/Matrix Games, good luck to any participant to this contest - let us know if you like the game!

cheers
Paolo P.

JasonPratt

In my passive-aggressive way, I'd be interested in the competition.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

nelmsm

I'd be interested but no way I could do that turn rate. Have fun for guys that play.

Boggit

So, we are here at the moment, we have signed up...

Round 1
Millipede
Shelldrake
Iudi1867

@Everyone

The return rate is not hardcoded into the competition, in organising this we don't want to bog down the game, but at the same time don't want to be stressing out players over return rates, since the most important thing about this competition is for you guys to have fun.

If you think that a completion rate of 5 days for a challenge is unreasonable, then say what is a better one and we can run with that if that is the general consensus of the players involved. I'd much rather everyone was happy with the time they have for their games, at the same time having regard to the fact that it is undesirable to have people waiting around for an opponent excessively. So, give us a reasonable time to complete games as a ballpark figure, and if most of you are happy with it we can run with that.

And by the way I have 8 more steam codes for the game, so if you like the idea of the competition and need a code let me know.

@Nelmsm, bbmike, JasonPratt
If you guys are now on board, let me know if you need a Steam code. O0

nelmsm

Okay I'll give it a go. I'll need a Steam key.