Clad in Iron: Philippines 1898 recently released

Started by em2nought, November 21, 2017, 11:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Thanks for dropping in and offering an explanation, Maxim!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

totemgam

We have included the effect of weather. Below I posted a screenshot. The height of the wave is 6 feet (1.8 meters). After testing, we will update the game.

Jarhead0331

Other than the indication of sea state in the UI, is there any visual indication of rough weather and/or seas? Still looks like a bathtub to me...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

totemgam

I'm afraid it's a scale problem. The height of the side of the cruiser "Baltimore" in the screenshot is 14.7 feet (4.5 meters). That is, you see waves in real scale. If you expect to see a wave that floods the ship, I'm afraid that before the Great War 1914-18, no one fought in such conditions. Most ocean battleships secondary 5-6in guns battery was at an altitude of a little more than 6,5 feet (two meters) from the waterline. I believe that we do not need to invent anything for entertainment.

Jarhead0331

Yeah. I'm not looking for Hurricane Sandy. I'm just suggesting that some visual variation in sea and sky state would be a nice feature for players, both present and future.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

em2nought

Oddly enough I happen to like video games to look a bit like a wargame being fought on a table.  Kind of like taking Avalon Hill's Jutland counters and making 3D playing pieces, but still playing on my blue bedspread. lol   Sort of in the way that Toy Soldiers handles things, treating it like "toys".  When things get too dark and moody it gets harder and harder to actually pick out playing pieces without some kind of highlight mechanism.  I guess I like the detail to be in the pieces, the water doesn't even need reflections for me.  I've always felt that video game water was too advanced for the rest of the game atmosphere anyway.

Stolen elections have consequences.

Jarhead0331

Personally, I can go with one or the other, but not a mix of both. Either go the tabletop route, or don't. In a situation where everything is modeled realistically except the environment, it just seems like an oversight or a cop out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

totemgam

I agree that conventions are permissible for "soldiers on the table," but are not desirable in a serious simulator. In the simulator, I want to see the maximum approximation to reality. In any case, developers are limited by resources. We are not professionals at all. Just 10 years ago at a big Russian forum about the Russo-Japanese war ( http://tsushima.su/forums/ ) we gathered and decided to make a game for ourselves. Here also we do. It is impossible to make money on such games. Everything is done in the time free from family and work. This is a very expensive hobby.

Jarhead0331

...and you guys have done a fantastic job. You undoubtedly have created a unique gaming experience dealing with source material that most developers never touch. Please don't take requests for features as unwarranted criticism.

Keep up the good work!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

Agree with Jar. I've been following these games since they first came-out and they have steadily improved all areas of strategic as well as tactical gameplay. Keep in up totemgam and thanks for giving some love to eras too long ignored by other gaming companies.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 28, 2017, 11:04:35 AM
Agree with Jar. I've been following these games since they first came-out and they have steadily improved all areas of strategic as well as tactical gameplay. Keep in up totemgam and thanks for giving some love to eras too long ignored by other gaming companies.  O0

Yes second that. I have purchased all your games as I say there is something about them I really like. My only request would be to extend the damage model a bit to replicate individual gun damage.

I think a lot of people just because they pay for something expect the guys at the other end fill their fireplaces with unwanted dollar bills, when the fact is without people like you doing a lot of work for little return we wouldn't have a hobby in the first place ... certainly not one that deals with obscure early steamship naval warfare. And I extend that across the board for the pure realistc  military war game hobby which is why I tend to react against critics of people like battlefront who are basically just a few guys trying to do the same and critisms that may be justly levelled against a Microsoft simply aren't. Our hobby is maintained by the interest of those building the games not the wealth they do not create.

Keep up the excellent work.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

totemgam

Done! We added the effect of weather on the battle.

Thanks for your support! It helps us move on.

jomni

That's amazing. Will pay attention to your games from now on.

totemgam

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 28, 2017, 01:51:33 PM
My only request would be to extend the damage model a bit to replicate individual gun damage.

Can I get a little more detailed?

Zulu1966

Quote from: totemgam on December 03, 2017, 08:15:12 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 28, 2017, 01:51:33 PM
My only request would be to extend the damage model a bit to replicate individual gun damage.

Can I get a little more detailed?

Well - what I mean is that sometimes hits on a ship will destroy a particular gun rather than just cause hull damage.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.