Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

You can do this all with MegaMek and MekHQ.
From the fine detail micromanagent to the coarse strategic stuff.
The AI in MM is workable (athough limited in various ways) with some additional rules.
There is an 'Against the Bot Ruleset' available on the official catalyst forums. With some alterations to this you can wage a campaign as big or as small as you'd like.
(Books required)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Micha

Great, looking forward for it.

Bardolph

Bought in at the recruit level. Haven't played a Battletech game in ages.

First time I played it was still called Battledroids and we played at some guys house with 1/144 scale robot models from Japan. He had a whole wall full of the kits, like a hobby shop. And a giant table to play on.
Picked up on the boardgame version again later on in college. Then got pretty involved in Kesmai's brilliant Multiplayer Battletech Online: Solaris (and AirWarrior, Go BZ!) till Kesmai shut down. Messed about with some of the Mechwarrior series but was busy with other games.

This looks like it might be fun.

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 12, 2017, 09:00:18 PM
Yeah, Battletech originally stole designs from several places including from whoever owned the Macross series (later incorporated into Robotech). That was ironed out years ago, but the influence can still be seen in some of the Mechs (slightly) even now.

The closest I ever came to playing the mini/RPG system was the Crescent Hawk duology, which my brother and I really loved. I did get Mechcommander 1 and 2 eventually (on sale in a collection somewhere), but somehow just couldn't get into it. Not enough detail compared to the Mechwarrior tactical FPS series I suppose.
I played Mech Commander back in the day. Lots of fun IIRC.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

kludger

Backed this and really looking forward to it, the videos look great.

Tpek

Gusington

I want to get this but will I know what the hell is going on if I never played before? This would be my first foray into the Battletech universe.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 01, 2017, 01:36:34 PM
I want to get this but will I know what the hell is going on if I never played before?

Giant battling robots. What else do you need to know?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

If you really want to know about Hanse "The Fox" Davion, you can always read the Wiki

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

That should keep you busy for a while.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Never played one second of any giant robot game, but how the BLOODY HELL can anyone NOT like the idea of blowing up giant robots?  :uglystupid2:

Anyone here going to be in the beta?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: acctingman on June 01, 2017, 01:56:04 PM
Never played one second of any giant robot game, but how the BLOODY HELL can anyone NOT like the idea of blowing up giant robots?  :uglystupid2:

Anyone here going to be in the beta?

I'm a backer. Still waiting for my beta code. Its actually a very limited single player skirmish mode. They will add MP function soon, but other than minor fixes, the beta will not be updated or expanded upon. They've made clear that this is just to collect data and is not meant to be an early access release.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Got my code. Will look at it tomorrow.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

acctingman

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward people's opinion on this game (when they're able to)

Tpek

Got my key, currently downloading.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18