Dom 3 Quick Questions Thread

Started by claes, June 15, 2013, 08:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parone

LOTS of cheap tramplers is good.  but cheap tramplers are hard to come by

mkivcs

I've just noticed that half a dozen magic users in two separate locations have developed Battle afflictions in a single turn. No battle and no reports in the messages screen to suggest a reason. I can quiet understand a long distance attack but I thought someone in my empire would have at least informed me of the this development. I only noticed them in my monthly check that everyone was doing something useful.Any ideas?

Faux

Quote from: mkivcs on June 18, 2013, 04:21:04 PM
I've just noticed that half a dozen magic users in two separate locations have developed Battle afflictions in a single turn. No battle and no reports in the messages screen to suggest a reason. I can quiet understand a long distance attack but I thought someone in my empire would have at least informed me of the this development. I only noticed them in my monthly check that everyone was doing something useful.Any ideas?

Your mages are probably suffering from old age. Having growth scale will increase their life span a bit so they won't get afflictions that often.

mkivcs

Possible but I don't think so in this case. I have seen the odd mage die over the years but half a dozen to all get old age on the same turn seems unlikely. I'm pretty sure that this is something else.

Phobos

Afflictions from old age occur mid-winter every year.  If they all are getting the diseased affliction, it may also be due to a hidden magic site in the province.  I remember a magic site that did that from a previous game.  Search for water or death if it does not appear to be old age and is restricted to a single province.

mkivcs

Quote from: Phobos on June 18, 2013, 04:55:41 PM
Afflictions from old age occur mid-winter every year.
You are both correct. It is indeed midwinter I had not realised that it was a once a year check rather than a turn check. I must just have got unlucky on the dice roll to have 50% of my backroom staff all age at the same time. They can still research even with the odd bit of body missing so no real hardship (For the empire anyway.)

parone

also, i beleive the older they get, the more likely they acquire afflictions.  but that may be something i suspect, not a fact

undercovergeek

theres boots for stopping old age isnt there?

Phobos

Boots of Youth.  They are a blood item that will stop aging.

There is also a spell that will lower age by 10 years, Rejuvenation, again blood magic.

Magic paths will extend old age thresholds as well.  Nature magic extends lifespan by something like 50% per point for most units.  Undead can get old as well, but I don't think they suffer age afflictions, just the lower stats from old age.  Death magic extends their lifespan.

Age is not a big issue, as far as I cam concerned, unless you have numerous units that start old.  Spells like Decay will cause rapid aging though, plus there is a global spell that causes everyone in the world to age rapidly.  That tends to hurt human units a lot more than some of the fantasy races, like R'Lyeh or Pangaea.     

parone

i beleive the elixr of life also slows/stops aging

byrdman57

Also having fire magic shortens the mage's lifespan and lowers the age at which they become old.

parone

Nefaro

Umm.. there are spells and magic items that can cause disease in a location. 

Isn't one of them that 'Bane Charm' that people like to smuggle into enemy territories on a stealthy undead unit (so it doesn't also get diseased & die)?

alastair

Quote from: W8taminute on June 15, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
Great idea for a thread!

What I want to know is if there are any spells that can make a stormy, rainy, battlefield into a sunny day?  My battle plans are absolutely useless in my current game due to heavy storms and electrical activity.  Not knowing much about spells and how to counter them I would argue that Dominions 3 has certain uncounterable buffs that kind of break the game.

Cant directly break them, but you can check it by changing your casting to battlefield-wide targeting.  Bloodletting is a good storm counter, as lots of air mages are squishy.  I learned that the hard way.

elitesix

Fire magic lowers lifespan, but increases leadership ability.