Levant or Ancient Palestine ?

Started by Philippe, July 10, 2017, 02:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Well, canid is (messed up) Greek after all. ;)

Incidentally, the Greek terms for 'dog' and 'puppy' and the Hebrew terms for '(Phoenician) trader' and 'zealot', all swarm together into an interesting multi-pun situation in the Gospel accounts of Jesus healing the Syro-Phoenician woman's daughter, and kind of explain along with the socio-political situation (still relevant in modern area politics today!) why Jesus seems like He doesn't intend to grant the mother's request for help.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Destraex

I prefer whatever the historical name is. I would generally research it if I did not know about it already anyways.
To me, Levant was some sort of holiday or bread.  :P But I certainly know a fair bit about the Rebellions against the Romans. I believe most people skip over or ignore this part of history whenever discussing middle eastern politics. Don't know why as it's where the diaspora comes from. People seem to go straight from old testament times and then end up missing  the roman era and straight into modern history like when the UN left Israel... it's funny because when you think about it, the Roman part of middle eastern history is where Christianity came from. Perhaps because there is such a focus is on Christian events of that era is why other Jewish events of the Roman era are generally forgotten by most.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Philippe

That's a different game altogether.  Abraham wasn't even a gleam in Terah's eye until several centuries after the game ends, and the proto-Romans were probably still living somewhere in the Balkans.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Destraex

Forgive me, but how do you get a realistic game 1000 years before the Philistines?

Philippe

How do you get one in any time period?  A setting in the third millenium per se shouldn't make any difference.  Because it's about Old Kingdom Egypt, you're dealing in something relatively well documented.   The trouble would start if the game were focused on Mesopotamia or the Levant: you might get Uruk, Sumer, and Akkad right, but were Ebla and Mari the only civilizations in that neighborhood?  If you just have to worry about getting Egypt right, you can design for effect and reduce everybody else to an abstraction.  The first two dynasties will be a little sketchy, but by third you should be on terra firma.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Anguille

Levant is very used in french so easy for me to know what we are talking about.

Destraex

Quote from: Philippe on July 13, 2017, 06:17:20 AM
How do you get one in any time period?  A setting in the third millenium per se shouldn't make any difference.  Because it's about Old Kingdom Egypt, you're dealing in something relatively well documented.   The trouble would start if the game were focused on Mesopotamia or the Levant: you might get Uruk, Sumer, and Akkad right, but were Ebla and Mari the only civilizations in that neighborhood?  If you just have to worry about getting Egypt right, you can design for effect and reduce everybody else to an abstraction.  The first two dynasties will be a little sketchy, but by third you should be on terra firma.

For most time periods that we wargame their is a lot more information than there is for this period. Nothing is perfect. But where the subject matter almost requires you to fill in the gaps in a substantial manner then I would question being able to call it historical. Like you said above the only faction's army we have good information on is Egypts? Who knows if we have any information on the tactics, formations and training.