Latest Wargaming Acquisitions

Started by TheCommandTent, September 15, 2012, 09:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

You could definitely play it solo. I think the best way to learn how to play is to read through the rules once, and then have an experienced player teach you. You'll have enough familiarity by reading the rules that it won't be a total chore for your opponent and you'll pick it up a lot faster than trying to muddle through on your own. That's how I did it and it worked great. I joined the LnL Vassal players FB group and met a tutor there.

Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/LnLVAssal/, since it's just plain rude to recommend that someone check something out on the web and then not link to it!

I learned with the Carentan scenario, though I've heard that Vierville is pretty good, too. Carentan is just infantry so it's a great way to get the basics down.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 16, 2012, 09:10:43 AM
Apparently this game is a hit with you guys.  I am looking forward to playing it.  I've just got to find the time.

I heard that it is also solo friendly, is this the case?

Very solo friendly. The game is played in alternating impulses where one side can move a single unit or stack then the other side does the same, you can just play the best you can for each side in each impulse.

The game plays very quickly once you know the rules. Combat is smooth and second nature after a while... soon you don't even need the casualty table to work out the results.

If you are on facebook there is a thriving group of players to play VASSAL with/against.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001335821494#!/groups/LnLVAssal/

Ubercat

Somebody didn't read the whole thread before posting.  ;D
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Barthheart

Quote from: Ubercat on September 16, 2012, 12:51:54 PM
Somebody didn't read the whole thread before posting.  ;D

Ha! Ya my bad.... too excited to see another LnL player!  8)

DV8

I picked up some Red Devils to use with my soon to arrive Bolt Actions rules.

"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

bob48

Nice looking figs DV8, be interesting to see how it plays once you've had chance to give it a run-through.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

^
^
Do I see Maj Frost amongst the lads? Tell him to hold out just one more day!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Better to tell Guards Armoured to put the pedal to the metal........

'Clip those corners'

LongBlade

I broke down and popped for this. My LGS has been having problems getting their hands on the rules and DV8 already has them anyway. I figured I'll get the minis and work on the rules later. Next problem: how to carry them....

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DV8

Quote from: LongBlade on September 16, 2012, 04:08:23 PM
I broke down and popped for this. My LGS has been having problems getting their hands on the rules and DV8 already has them anyway. I figured I'll get the minis and work on the rules later. Next problem: how to carry them....

Now my chits are going to look like sh@$ next to those figs.   :P

LongBlade

Quote from: DV8 on September 16, 2012, 04:17:39 PM
Now my chits are going to look like sh@$ next to those figs.   :P

Not to worry. I'm planning on picking up some Federation ships at some point, too. And eventually Klingons to round out the set. I'm too much of a Star Trek geek not to have a full house. Moving on the Romulans first unlocks some Klingon and Romulan models, so with my Constellation class cruiser we should be able to play all three of the major sides as soon as it arrives. Now I've just got to get my painting skills back up to snuff so I can do their feather pattern some justice.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DV8

Quote from: Barthheart on September 16, 2012, 08:38:55 AM
Sent.  8)

Just for completeness here's the BGG linky:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71967/heroes-of-the-gap-rules-scan

Do all the games with the "Lock N Load" in their title share the same rules system?

Such as:
Lock 'n Load: Dark July
Lock 'n Load: Not One Step Back
Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Blitzkrieg
Lock 'n Load: Day of Heroes
Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap

bob48

Yes, that's correct - same basic system for those games.

'Clip those corners'

TheCommandTent

Quote from: DV8 on September 16, 2012, 03:45:11 PM
I picked up some Red Devils to use with my soon to arrive Bolt Actions rules.

Nice stuff DV8. I am really looking forward to getting the rules myself.  Actually tonight I got an email from Amazon that my set of the rules is ready to ship tomorrow!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: DV8 on September 16, 2012, 04:37:03 PMDo all the games with the "Lock N Load" in their title share the same rules system?

Such as:
Lock 'n Load: Dark July
Lock 'n Load: Not One Step Back
Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Blitzkrieg
Lock 'n Load: Day of Heroes
Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap

Within the LnL series, if the game has "heroes" in the title - Heroes of the Gap, Forgotten Heroes, Day of Heroes, etc - then it's a standalone game.  If it doesn't, it's an expansion of some sort.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers