Women and wargaming

Started by Rex Brynen, March 05, 2016, 04:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

^^ooooh you fibber, Geek. You said you had a big one but only got it out on bank holidays.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bob48

Quote from: bob48 on March 06, 2016, 06:28:07 PM
^^ooooh you fibber, Geek. You said you had a big one but only got it out on bank holidays.

And welcome Crazy Girl.

If you really are crazy, then you've come to the right shop.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Welcome, Crazy Girl.

Sorry to say, but at least for me your initial post was tl;dr but we're glad to have you anyway.

Bob is correct, as usual. Sanity is not highly valued here, but we do have a few resident trophy wives - just ask for Star or Gus. They're always on call.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Crazy Girl

Quote from: mirth on March 06, 2016, 06:17:22 PM
Someone pass the popcorn.

Don't be so dramatic man. That ain't cool...

Quote from: bbmike on March 06, 2016, 06:23:56 PM
My money's on Star.  ;D

Why?

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 06, 2016, 06:26:35 PM
Quote from: Crazy Girl on March 06, 2016, 06:13:15 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, I don't know what a Wodin is.
ive got to be honest, neither do we

Guess I'll keep reading those other websites for educational purposes and GrogHeads for pure entertainment.

Quote from: bob48 on March 06, 2016, 06:29:24 PM
And welcome Crazy Girl.
If you really are crazy, then you've come to the right shop.

The right shop or stop? Either way, I been reading the forums for months now. I like it here.

Quote from: LongBlade on March 06, 2016, 06:37:35 PM
Welcome, Crazy Girl.
Sorry to say, but at least for me your initial post was tl;dr but we're glad to have you anyway.
Bob is correct, as usual. Sanity is not highly valued here, but we do have a few resident trophy wives - just ask for Star or Gus. They're always on call.
Sorry, but when people respond with "tl:dr" it makes me feel like they are either too lazy or a bit slow.  :)
No worries, I don't care. Thank you for welcoming me.
Just so you know I am certifiably crazy, but I'm not crazy enough to get married though.
If you'd even bother to read my looooooooooong post, you'd know, and I'll quote myself:
"I’m no one’s show piece. Like a trophy wife/token."
I am not a prize to be won. I am a person, and no I am not a feminist.

undercovergeek

Are all married women trophys/prizes?

LongBlade

Quote from: Crazy Girl on March 06, 2016, 06:57:20 PM
Sorry, but when people respond with "tl:dr" it makes me feel like they are either too lazy or a bit slow.  :)

I'm both, so you're batting 100 so far.

mirth

I enjoy a good puppet show, but what does all this have to do with wargaming?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Quote from: Rex Brynen on March 06, 2016, 02:06:23 PM
Quote from: GJK on March 06, 2016, 08:44:53 AM
Did this big research project ever stop to think that perhaps wargaming just doesn't interest all but a small slice of the female populace just as drinking wine and painting nails doesn't interest all but a small slice of the male populace?  I think there might of been design decisions that were put into this mix for a reason but we as the creations keep wanting distort the whole thing.

I think the suggestion that most women are preoccupied with "drinking wine and painting nails," coupled with the implication that some supreme being designed men to be wargamers, probably makes my point about welcoming atmosphere/barriers to entry pretty well.

It probably also explains why, when women are in contexts where those views are not held or expressed, they participate in conflict simulations in much larger numbers.

Then why aren't there large numbers of "women wargamers" clubs/groups around the globe?  If the hypothesis is that women do/would enjoy wargaming if it weren't for the "less than friendly" male populace of wargamers, then wouldn't you think that they'd form more hospitable groups to accommodate them?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

undercovergeek

Quote from: mirth on March 06, 2016, 07:05:25 PM

We wouldn't know - were too busy playing our little boys games whilst the women do the shopping, go to work, make sandwiches and grow moustaches

Like star and gus but more serious and with tampons

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on March 06, 2016, 07:08:35 PM
Then why aren't there large numbers of "women wargamers" clubs/groups around the globe?  If the hypothesis is that women do/would enjoy wargaming if it weren't for the "less than friendly" male populace of wargamers, then wouldn't you think that they'd form more hospitable groups to accommodate them?

In fairness, most wargamers aren't hospitable to many men, either.

bbmike

Quote from: Crazy Girl on March 06, 2016, 06:57:20 PM
Quote from: bbmike on March 06, 2016, 06:23:56 PM
My money's on Star.  ;D

Why?

An inexplicable ability to read people. And, though I've never met him, he's awesome in person and just stupid online just as you said.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Crazy Girl

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 06, 2016, 07:00:23 PM
Are all married women trophys/prizes?
No, but all married men are lucky.  :)
(I know some married men that would say they messed up, they are still lucky.)
A trophy is an item. Something you win. People are not objects.
A young, attractive wife regarded as a status symbol for an older man, that's not cool.
What happens to the wife when she is no longer young and attractive?

Quote from: LongBlade on March 06, 2016, 07:02:55 PM

I'm both, so you're batting 100 so far.
I'm a genius?

Quote from: mirth on March 06, 2016, 07:05:25 PM
Nothing, go back to your game.

Well isn't that the point? Why can't us girls play with the boys? Like I said in my long rant... I have been discourage time and time again. I play with the girls just fine. It seems that most men don't want the ladies around for whatever reason. But I know that if a men tells a woman, go away because you are a woman, that would be sexist. At the same time, I don't want to be anywhere I am not wanted.

Quote from: LongBlade on March 06, 2016, 07:16:08 PM
In fairness, most wargamers aren't hospitable to many men, either.
This is so true, I've witness some games that have gotten pretty intense and was pretty happy not to be a part of.

mirth

I'll nominate this for the 2016 Grogheads Drama Queen of the Year Award.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Quote from: Crazy Girl on March 06, 2016, 07:27:10 PM

Well isn't that the point? Why can't us girls play with the boys? Like I said in my long rant... I have been discourage time and time again. I play with the girls just fine. It seems that most men don't want the ladies around for whatever reason. But I know that if a men tells a woman, go away because you are a woman, that would be sexist. At the same time, I don't want to be anywhere I am not wanted.

Well my point is; if playing with the boys is unpleasant and you happen to be playing with the girls because of such, do you ever play wargames?  If not, why not?  Does the subject matter not interest you or do you have a preference for other types of games?

I don't buy the argument that "men are pigs/sexist/unpleasant towards women" and thus that's the reason why women aren't playing wargames in great numbers.  Sure, there's many exceptions in both cases but I'll stand by my original point - the overwhelming majority of women just don't care to game a game covering the Stalingrad campaign or WWI trench warfare (as examples) on any sort of regular basis.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 06, 2016, 03:37:01 PM
youre not Wodin are you?

That was my first thought!

Welcome, Crazy Girl! It sounds like you will add a lot (good) to the place.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell