DVG's Tiger Leader

Started by BanzaiCat, June 06, 2015, 08:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Still waiting fer my copy  >:( but just a comment.

Early war German tanks were pretty vulnerable to infantry close attacks. In fact the Pz I could probably be taken out with a heavy MG.... Are later model tanks as easy to kill with infantry/MG units this way?

PanzersEast

Quote from: Barthheart on June 08, 2015, 11:29:45 AM

Early war German tanks were pretty vulnerable to infantry close attacks. In fact the Pz I could probably be taken out with a heavy MG.... Are later model tanks as easy to kill with infantry/MG units this way?

This is the mechanic of the game, so a Pz IV could be attacked by a MG unit and while the better tanks have a higher defense, a MG Unit could still score a hit and a dreaded Destroyed chit pull.

So let's say you are facing an enemy Rifle team (front) and your Tiger is in open ground.  The Tigers Defense Armor Rating is 2.  The rifle squad attacks from 1 Hex away with an attack to hit value of 5.   With the modified defense of the Tiger it would take a 7 to score a hit.  You roll a 10, pull a Destroyed chit and your Tiger tank is now Destroyed and removed from the campaign.... and you set in WTF disbelief. 

PE

Barthheart

Quote from: PanzersEast on June 08, 2015, 11:42:52 AM

This is the mechanic of the game, so a Pz IV could be attacked by a MG unit and while the better tanks have a higher defense, a MG Unit could still score a hit and a dreaded Destroyed chit pull.

So let's say you are facing an enemy Rifle team and your Tiger is in open ground.  The Tigers Defense Armor Rating is 2.  The rifle squad attacks from 1 Hex away with an attack to hit value of 5.   With the modified defense of the Tiger it would take a 7 to score a hit.  You roll a 10, pull a chit and your Tiger tank is now Destroyed.... and you set in WTF disbelief. 

PE

Gottcha.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Barthheart on June 08, 2015, 11:45:38 AM
Quote from: PanzersEast on June 08, 2015, 11:42:52 AM

So let's say you are facing an enemy Rifle team and your Tiger is in open ground.  The Tigers Defense Armor Rating is 2.  The rifle squad attacks from 1 Hex away with an attack to hit value of 5.   With the modified defense of the Tiger it would take a 7 to score a hit.  You roll a 10, pull a chit and your Tiger tank is now Destroyed.... and you set in WTF disbelief. 

PE

Gottcha.

I think there should be some modified rules here dealing with this situation... if the Infantry enter your hex or out flank you.... there could be a possible disable etc... however the game does have AT Teams so I guess we assume the Rifle Squads also have some AT capabilities?  Plus a scout car destroying my Tiger means I should instead throw cheaper units at them for attrition sake  :buck2:

PE

GJK

Infantry should have to take a PAATC roll before being able to close assault an AFV but then you might be playing ASL.  :D
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

I'm going to dig the rules out later tonight to read through them.

Would it not be assumed that said rifle squad has some kind of inherent AT capability?

I imagine hitting a Tiger in open ground would be VERY easy to do for a rifle squad...but their rifles obviously won't do shite against that beast. There's always the chance of a lucky shot from an AT weapon, though.

Seems like the Tiger's defense value should be higher than 2. ???

PanzersEast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 08, 2015, 02:07:53 PM
I'm going to dig the rules out later tonight to read through them.

Would it not be assumed that said rifle squad has some kind of inherent AT capability?

I imagine hitting a Tiger in open ground would be VERY easy to do for a rifle squad...but their rifles obviously won't do shite against that beast. There's always the chance of a lucky shot from an AT weapon, though.

Seems like the Tiger's defense value should be higher than 2. ???

No where in the rules that I could find that mentions a Rifle Squad having AT capabilities.  Also, there are specific AT Teams as well.  A  Rifle squad front facing a Tiger in the open at distance should be able to do squat, but maybe hurt the commanders feelings with some choice words.  Same goes for a scout car......

PE

BanzaiCat

Hmm. Somewhat lamesauce. No questions on BGG about it either, which is interesting.

Personally I'd just assume some kind of organic AT capability; otherwise, there's no good reason to assume a bunch of riflemen armed with rifles can destroy a Tiger. That's begging for some kind of rules mod or house rule.

Cyrano

And in the whoooops department:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dvgames/tiger-leader/posts/1250408

Was puzzled when my NWS order came without it...now it would seem we know why...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

My copy is in my mailbox according to Canada Post... can't wait to get home.  O0

Cyrano

Hey, Barth, remember:

a:  You're going to teach me LnL Day of Heroes.

b:  I owe you a punch in the face.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on June 10, 2015, 12:02:42 PM
Hey, Barth, remember:

a:  You're going to teach me LnL Day of Heroes.

b:  I owe you a punch in the face.

And you owe me $20 USD for some namby pamby Waterloo shirt.....

Barthheart

Man there's a lot of stuff in this box.  O0

Going to try and squeeze in a game tonight.

TacticalWargames

Waiting for my copy to arrive. Though riflemen vs tanks is abit disconcerting.

Edit: Just had an email from the shop saying they have received the game and copies will be going out shortly..yippee.

PanzersEast

I posted this over at BGG but you guys can download it if you want to use it... options and variant by Chris Dean.

I added the info to a quick to print chart for easier reference and thought I would share if you want it... 

Thanks Chris for the variant and options.

DOWNLOAD: Get the Reference Sheet Here

Cheers and Happy Hunting,
PE