Unboxing new games

Started by bayonetbrant, June 05, 2014, 05:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I told you the components to the new version were a huge leap over those old dull AH ones!  ;)

PanzersEast

Renewing the War on Terror.....   :knuppel2:

PE

GJK

Laby has been on my "need to get this on the table soon" list for much too long.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

PanzersEast

A Victory Denied..... or is it  :knuppel2:

PanzersEast

Andean Abyss.... which side are you on?  Purchased on the recommendation of bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

well no pressure there!   :-[

Seriously - I've played it 3-4 times, including a pre-release playtest at Connections some years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm on the gov't side, but that has a lot to do with the exercise we helped NDU run in 2010 using Colombia as the scenario for a strategic-level counterinsurgency.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2014, 08:16:57 AM
well no pressure there!   :-[

Seriously - I've played it 3-4 times, including a pre-release playtest at Connections some years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm on the gov't side, but that has a lot to do with the exercise we helped NDU run in 2010 using Colombia as the scenario for a strategic-level counterinsurgency.

I have not doubt it will be a great experience... I did research before I purchased and with the enjoyment I have had with Labyrinth I am sure this is right up my wheelhouse.  It was recommended across the board from areas I have read.  O0

PE

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on June 21, 2014, 05:51:39 PM
I told you the components to the new version were a huge leap over those old dull AH ones!  ;)

From 2003!  Whistling Death:

Staggerwing

Hey! The Nimitz is included in the US flattop counter section- must be for a 'Final Countdown' scenario!

Are there Tomcat counters hidden in the camera flash?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I think the solitaire game Carrier has a Nimitz 'Final Countdown' scenario, too...funny how that movie remained influential through games. I still will watch it at least once a year.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 03, 2014, 06:44:29 PM
Hey! The Nimitz is included in the US flattop counter section- must be for a 'Final Countdown' scenario!

I believe that has been a tendency in some other CoA games, too. 

Ya know.. the quality of the Fighting Wings components were fairly good for their time (mid 90s to '03).  Except for the paper sheet of ship 'counters' I suppose.

Last I checked, JD was supposed to be doing an East Front set too.

This is a series I'd like to actually see ported to a 3D multi-player capable PC game.  You really gotta visualize all the aircrafts' relative positions and orientation, in 3D space, via the flat counters and hex maps.  Which can be a chore.

MengJiao

Nothing like that explicitly.  There are instructions for how to build your own factors for ships.

So Far, in my simple blow up ships scenario (vaguely based on an early US raid on New Guinea), the "massed" AAA from two Japanese merchant ships has messed up the turn controls on one F4F which is about to strafe.  Two Devastators will then bomb if I can figure out how to bomb.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 08:50:08 PM

Nothing like that explicitly.  There are instructions for how to build your own factors for ships.

So Far, in my simple blow up ships scenario (vaguely based on an early US raid on New Guinea), the "massed" AAA from two Japanese merchant ships has messed up the turn controls on one F4F which is about to strafe.  Two Devastators will then bomb if I can figure out how to bomb.

Bombing runs on anchored ships worked pretty well and even turned out somewhat historically: 2 out of 4 attacking planes had significant but not crippling damage from AAA and both merchant ships were seriously damaged by multiple hits and near-misses from the 12 100-pound bombs each Devastator carried.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 03, 2014, 04:57:16 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 21, 2014, 05:51:39 PM

From 2003!  Whistling Death:

Iron and Oak, published this year:

Nefaro

I spy a Saratoga CV hiding amonst those old Iron & Oak vessels!  ;D