GAMA Head denied another term

Started by airboy, August 28, 2018, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

John Ward the director of GAMA did not have his contract renewed.  GAMA runs Origins and is a trade association for game manufacturers.

I'm hoping the new director can fix the registration problem that happens every single year.  I'm also hoping the new director will do their due diligence when screening speakers/guests of honor so the debacle of announcing people and retracting the honor within a day never happens again.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Is Angela John's wife, daughter, or some other connection?  ??? I know next to nothing about the GAMA organization....

EDIT---- There's another Ward, Jennifer, that is the secretary of the GAMA Retail Board.....  ???

bayonetbrant

Angela is John's wife

AFAIK Jennifer is not related, but I can't say for certain
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

At the link is a GAMA board member discussing what he sees as some of the opportunities for GAMA - which also can be read as what he sees as things GAMA is not doing now.

http://www.jefftidball.com/posts/it-is-wise

What Tidball is suggesting is that GAMA provide better service as a trade organization.  What he is discussing is pretty standard stuff for trade associations.  Of course, this has a lot of focus on things currently hot in the game world.

What I did not see is any discussion of how Origins itself could be better run.  The registration snafus in recent years have been appalling. 

bayonetbrant

Keep in mind that a handful of things that Tidal have suggested would be of great advantage to the retailers

GAMA are the Game Manufacturers Association, not a retailers association.

Tidball and I are also supposed to chat next week about some of the concerns that I have with what's going on.