I haven't played a real Flight Sim since 2003. But now have the itch.

Started by stolypin, August 03, 2018, 08:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stolypin

I'm a hardcore Tiller / Grigsby sort of wargamer with an itch to move outside my comfort zone and try a flight sim.  I'm considering IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and believe I have the computing rig to handle it.  But I'm wondering what other hardware I need.  I see Amazon has a Thrustmaster flight stick / throttle combo for $99.  Can I get by with just that (and still have a good Flight Sim experience)?  Or do I really need pedals, tracker etc.?  If the latter, I may pass.

Thanks.

Jarhead0331

Simple stick and throttle for starters is fine. I wouldn't recommend you jump all in with pedals and trackIR, until you know if simming is going to be something you stick with. Those additional devices certainly enhance the experience and overtime become indispensable, but in the beginning, you'll do just find with a basic stick and throttle set-up. If you don't mind a bit of a $129 investment, go with the Thrustmaster T.1600M. Just get the stick and throttle for now. You can always upgrade by adding the T Rudder pedals later on.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Before I had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (less than $50) but felt this wasn't enough for simulators like DCS. https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pro-Joystick-Windows/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533307768&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+extreme+3d+pro+joystick

Now I have the Trustmaster T.1600M and the Delan Clip as a TrackIr alternative (https://delanengineering.com/shop/DelanClip-Gamer-p43397050) .
I paid around 150 € ($165) in total for both and I am very pleased with the results.

I must admit that for IL-2 Stalingrad I still use the old stick without issues so you could get started for less then $100 (3D pro + Delan Clip).

I would ignore the pedals for now, but I recommend some kind of TrackIr for situational awareness and immersion.

Tuna

if you're going to play MP, then Track IR  or some other head tracking method is a must.  It does make it so much more immersive though.

If you're going to play SP, then you can easily use padlock views to take care of that.

stolypin

Thanks for everyone's responses. 

I definitely will not be playing multi-player so it sounds like I can go with just the flight stick and throttle and still enjoy the sim. 

Tuna

yeah, the reason it's a must for mp, is a lot of servers have padlock shut off! real pain having to move you mouse around to view, while trying to fly at the same time!

em2nought

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 03, 2018, 10:07:59 AM
Delan Clip as a TrackIr alternative (https://delanengineering.com/shop/DelanClip-Gamer-p43397050) .

Thanks for mentioning the Delan Clip, hadn't heard of it before.  Looks much nicer than the cpvc pipe assembly I tried attaching to my mouse and stomach.  :DD
Stolen elections have consequences.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on August 03, 2018, 01:48:05 PM
yeah, the reason it's a must for mp, is a lot of servers have padlock shut off! real pain having to move you mouse around to view, while trying to fly at the same time!

Just built a new rig.  Primarily for cranking out max flight sim sexiness.  Specifically DCS.

Still need to hook up my HOTAS, pedals, and TrackIR along with all the downloading and other sheeit I got to do lately.  But  I'll get there sometime soon or, at least, get back on some Warships.

TL;DR

I'm gonna be digitally shooting people, online, again soon™.  Needs me some flight simming again, too.