Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Always good to wait if your not sure. You have to really like generating your own battles, it's the main hook right now. We'll see if the modding scene takes off. Cold war isn't my sweet spot but I'm enjoying it, has a lot of toys to play with 1965- 1991. The release seems pretty bug free judging by the tech forum, and I haven't encountered any yet. Curious to see how the new close combat compares, if it actually releases.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Is that a Mig-21 getting shot down in that last screenie?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Yskonyn

I went ahead and bought it as well.
Did a quick battle this afternoon. I really like it so far!
Looking forward to more burning metal this evening!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

-budd-

Just found out something else about the game. On the Assign VP's screen, where you can change the VP's or randomize them you can also shrink or grow the deployment zones on the map, click and drag the edge of each sides deployment zone, there are limits.

DoctorQuest

Has anyone had issues installing the game on Win 7?

I enter my code and my directory and it simple ends after issuing a couple of message.

I'll get with support. Just curious if the grogs had seen any issues.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Yskonyn

No help here sorry.

I just wanted to say how cool I think the Iso mapmode is.
Too bad you can't move units on it, but it certainly helps with overview!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

IICptMillerII

I'm really enjoying the game so far. The Cold War era, specifically the later 80's is one of my favorite wargaming periods. There are precious few games that even cover this period of (hypothetical) warfare, so I'm always happy to see more games set during this time.

Right now I think Armored Brigade has a great foundation set, and amazing potential to build on in the future. Just like Field of Glory 2 introduced a number of DLC's expanding the eras and factions, I really hope Armored Brigade gets the same treatment. I would love to see a Desert Storm mod/DLC, and both the 6 Day War and the Yom Kippur War both fall within the base games timeline. Personally I have little interest in this system being used for WWII (there are already so many WWII games out there, I would rather see more Cold War content) though I would pick that up if it were made.

The system does take some getting used to. Because it's top down, you lose some resolution when it comes to microterrain. I've noticed that my M1A1 Abrams aren't the most consistent when it comes to accuracy against even stationary targets, and a lot of the time it's due to microterrain that I'm not aware of. Add on top of that the lethality and speed of modern weapons, and the game being real time only, and you can get a bit overwhelmed when a full sized battle is raging.

Overall I think its great and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the developers and modding community do with it going forward.

Rayfer

Quote from: IICptMillerII on November 19, 2018, 12:36:44 PM
I'm really enjoying the game so far. The Cold War era, specifically the later 80's is one of my favorite wargaming periods. There are precious few games that even cover this period of (hypothetical) warfare, so I'm always happy to see more games set during this time.

Right now I think Armored Brigade has a great foundation set, and amazing potential to build on in the future. Just like Field of Glory 2 introduced a number of DLC's expanding the eras and factions, I really hope Armored Brigade gets the same treatment. I would love to see a Desert Storm mod/DLC, and both the 6 Day War and the Yom Kippur War both fall within the base games timeline. Personally I have little interest in this system being used for WWII (there are already so many WWII games out there, I would rather see more Cold War content) though I would pick that up if it were made.

The system does take some getting used to. Because it's top down, you lose some resolution when it comes to microterrain. I've noticed that my M1A1 Abrams aren't the most consistent when it comes to accuracy against even stationary targets, and a lot of the time it's due to microterrain that I'm not aware of. Add on top of that the lethality and speed of modern weapons, and the game being real time only, and you can get a bit overwhelmed when a full sized battle is raging.

Overall I think its great and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the developers and modding community do with it going forward.

la-la-la-la-la-la-la.....stop, you're not making it easy for me to let this one go, especially with the holiday sales on Steam not that far off where I'll waste my money on a bunch of cheap games that I'll rarely paly. Lie to me, tell me the game sucks so I should wait a year to get on sale.   :'(  :-\

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on November 19, 2018, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: IICptMillerII on November 19, 2018, 12:36:44 PM

la-la-la-la-la-la-la.....stop, you're not making it easy for me to let this one go, especially with the holiday sales on Steam not that far off where I'll waste my money on a bunch of cheap games that I'll rarely paly. Lie to me, tell me the game sucks so I should wait a year to get on sale.   :'(  :-\

Can't do it, playing with all the different units, of different years for different countries is a lot of fun. If you hate battle generators, that might be something to hang your "wait a year" hat on or if your a campaign guy.

O it does suck..........................................your playing time

Gusington

If there is a God I hope that the dlc situation for this game is exactly as the CAPT describes above. That would be so choice.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: -budd- on November 17, 2018, 01:14:40 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2018, 08:37:42 AM
Quote from: -budd- on October 25, 2018, 11:17:57 PM
You can give orders at any level you like in CO, of course the orders delay will be effected but you can just turn it off and micro at will without penalty.

In fact earlier this year, someone (on Steam) did a study of the COps2 engine and discovered that your units will work a little better with micro, due to less delay in passing the orders down. So aside from being a resource distribution node, the subordinate HQs provide less not more functionality!

There is some debate about whether this was intended, and if so how far; and about whether this is more or less realistic. ;)

Jason, you have a link to that study thing? I'd like to check it out.

Supposedly a patch was slated to fix the effect; the study thread is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/521800/discussions/0/1368380934289644720/

Another thread here, discusses effects the HQs have on units: https://steamcommunity.com/app/521800/discussions/0/133257636765149464/
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Holy brrrrrrrrrrrrt!

I just witnessed the raw power of the GAU-8 gun of the A-10 in this game.

Powerrrr!

IICptMillerII

Quotela-la-la-la-la-la-la.....stop, you're not making it easy for me to let this one go, especially with the holiday sales on Steam not that far off where I'll waste my money on a bunch of cheap games that I'll rarely paly. Lie to me, tell me the game sucks so I should wait a year to get on sale.   :'(  :-\

Well I can give you one reason to maybe hold off. Piggybacking off what budd has already said; right now the vast majority of the game (easily 80%) is all in the battle generator. There are only 15 scenarios that come with the game, and all of them are designed as gameplay demo's of sorts, showing off specific gameplay features. Now for me, this isn't a deal breaker. I'm happy with the game as it is, and am hoping it will be expanded with DLC. However, for someone on the fence, or looking to spend money on other things, I do think it could be a deal breaking factor.

-budd-

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 19, 2018, 01:44:25 PM
Quote from: -budd- on November 17, 2018, 01:14:40 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2018, 08:37:42 AM
Quote from: -budd- on October 25, 2018, 11:17:57 PM
You can give orders at any level you like in CO, of course the orders delay will be effected but you can just turn it off and micro at will without penalty.

In fact earlier this year, someone (on Steam) did a study of the COps2 engine and discovered that your units will work a little better with micro, due to less delay in passing the orders down. So aside from being a resource distribution node, the subordinate HQs provide less not more functionality!

There is some debate about whether this was intended, and if so how far; and about whether this is more or less realistic. ;)

Jason, you have a link to that study thing? I'd like to check it out.

Supposedly a patch was slated to fix the effect; the study thread is here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/521800/discussions/0/1368380934289644720/

Another thread here, discusses effects the HQs have on units: https://steamcommunity.com/app/521800/discussions/0/133257636765149464/

Thanks Jason, I remember this bug, there's also the intel bug and i believe an arty bug there still working on. Not sure about that second thread HQ effects, wonder if he's playing with no order effects. I'll micro at times and re-attach. Haven't played in a bit as i'm waiting for the patch, but i remember a difference in performance between leaders with good ratings and leaders with bad ratings, always using my good leaders for the toughest jobs.