Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 14, 2018, 10:43:11 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 14, 2018, 05:35:11 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 14, 2018, 04:32:18 AM
Instead you just get a half arsed AI and no real human challenge or even social interaction.

Sign me up....I'll take that over multi-player games any day of the week.  Even half arsed AI usually gives me a run for my money....

It's just big blobs of units moving toward pre-determined points on the map.

No strategy
No tactics
No adjustment to the plan

Every game on the market with an AI subscribes to this?  Don't disagree that a human opponent in most cases (depends on the human) will be stronger than an AI, but I suspect a number of AI games have some level of strategy/tactics even if not on par with a human.

mikeck

Edit
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: Destraex on October 14, 2018, 04:32:18 AM
Instead you just get a half arsed AI and no real human challenge or even social interaction.

Exactly...well..at least the part about social interaction. I socially interact all day. My game time is my private time. To each his own. So if I'm not looking for social interaction and only want enough of a challenge to make the game fun and immersive, SP is fine.

Just has to have a decent AI. And many MP games with a secondary SP mode tend to have really crappy AI.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bobarossa

This forum is as much social interaction as I'm interested in!

That and walking the dog.

Veitikka

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on October 14, 2018, 10:43:11 AM

It's just big blobs of units moving toward pre-determined points on the map.

No strategy
No tactics
No adjustment to the plan

Hey Apocalypse31, I remember that back in the day you offered your help to improve the project, concerning the sounds. Something changed your view about the game?

-budd-

I'm just an average gamer and the AI gives me a good game most of the time. Historically speaking i've always been a SP  and have been fine with that.  I started playing PBEM about a year and half ago, and now about 50% of my gaming is on my PBEM turns. I usually have anywhere between 3 and 7 pbem games going at once. PBEM is now a feature i look for in a new release, and if this game had a PBEM system like combat mission i'd certainly be more inclined to get it sooner, especially if my PBEM partner was interested. I've purchased games just for PBEM, Panzer Korps, Order of Battle, Battle Academy 2, these are games i don't really enjoy in SP, but enjoy the hell out of them with another person on the other end for some reason. Maybe it's the extra juice knowing another human is on the other end. Currently have Order of Battle, Battle Academy 2 and Commander the Great War PBEM's going on, and i probably would never play these games in SP. I think the key is finding a like minded individual to PBEM with, neither of us min/max games or know the manual and every nuance of the game system and that's the way we like it, we just have fun with it. Sometimes i win, sometimes i lose, sometimes the scenario sucks. We don't sweat it when a few days go by and a turn hasn't been played, you can always play SP in the mean time, we inform each other of any long breaks, vacations and such. I was lucky to find a like minded gentleman gamer who likes to play a lot of different games and have several games going at once. I have been and would be crushed if i play a person who has a lot of experience and knows every nuance of a game system. I think the reason I never did PBEM years ago was because i always imagined myself being crushed and the other player not having fun crushing me ;D, that's where finding a like minded individual of roughly the same skill level and outlook on games comes in. We've all heard for years that there's extra juice with another human on the other end, it different, turns out they were right :notworthy: a human pulls some shit that an AI would never even dream up and sometimes you just got to laugh, curse, and shake your head and say WTF just happened. As far as social interaction, well typing stuff in the chat window or exchanging emails isn't really a deep social commitment, basically you can explore as much of the social interacting part as your comfortable with when playing PBEM. I would encourage anyone to give PBEM a shot, SP will always be there waiting.

I hope the developers of this game consider adding a PBEM feature like combat mission has, think it would be great fun in MP and probably add a few sales.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

DennisS

Tortuga Power, with a 2 hour, 41 minute replay.

This. Game. Looks. Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbiI4hW57EQ

Veitikka

You should check the new Twitch stream by XTRG, featuring the U.S. Army. Unlike these on-the-fly generated battles, it has a pre-made scenario.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323457205

Moreb

I am extremely interested in this title. It's been a long time since I have purchased a Matrix game but, as of now, this will be a first day buy from me. It looks out of the norm. The fact that you have a 3-d map and can zoom from so high a vantage point to extremely close very fluidly, by the looks at the stream, excites me to no end. I don't know the history of this title and just skimmed through feed so far but I hope this is the start a something good.

I really liked Tigers on the Hunt merely for the fact that it so closely resembles Squad Leader. It was programmed by a single guy part time and while the UI was and is still lacking, it filled a hole in my games list. Unfortunately it has let me down for lack of any improvements and quality of life added features. I never did buy any of its follow up releases because they were just scenarios. The game already has an editor and a plethora of user made scenarios to download. If they would upgrade the engine some with their scenario packs I would buy in. So far, they have not. I haven't visited the TotH forums for a long time but from what I gathered back then, the developer didn't have the desire to further its advancement.

I would hope that if this game is successful the developer will continue improving the game where needed since having an editor alone may keep many players from investing further.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Pete Dero

Quote from: Veitikka on October 16, 2018, 02:49:27 PM
You should check the new Twitch stream by XTRG, featuring the U.S. Army. Unlike these on-the-fly generated battles, it has a pre-made scenario.

Also available on Youtube :

RyanE

Good marketing...the more I see, the more I like.

DennisS

Thanks for this. Will this be a Steam game?

BradS62

This is more my speed. He plays minimum size map and you have Close Combat-Steel Panthers on steroids basically. This is an amazing and versatile game the more I see.

DennisS

I watched the entire video, and came away extremely impressed.

A few thoughts...

--Insufficient artillery for the size of the attacking force
--Needed to have the southern town with 4-6 tubes, in 3-4 areas, simultaneously. This would attack all the forces in the town
--More observation posts, infantry only, with instructions to lay low and report, only
--One A-10 sure would have been nice. I was stationed on an A-10 base in England, in the late '70's, for several years
--Tanks are sexy, artillery wins wars
--One infantry company is stupidly cheaper than even a few tanks. Put them in houses at the victory point locations, with dragons or other ATGM's. As a minimum they could just smoke the wheeled vehicles

For the scenario, the builder did a decent job. He correctly determined that a Soviet attack in force would have at least a 3:1 ratio of troops. I have seen a couple of yt videos where there was a 1:1 ratio of attacker to defender, resulting in relatively easy wins for the defender

Keep the streams using the AI as attackers. This gives us all a better idea on the quality of the AI. Easy to defend, programming-wise.

Nice and thoughtful positioning of troops. I like the LOS tool uses day vs. night ranges. I would have spent even more time - carefully - micro'ing force disposition. There should have been fall back positions for all forces. Engage, bloody their nose, retreat to the next prepared position. If it were me, I would have prepared the scenario, taking twice as long to do so, then spend 20 minutes going over the rationale for each defensive position. Much faster, and more learning is imparted.

Is there a provision to start hull down for the tanks? If this is a static defense, there should have been prepared fighting positions for the M1's.

Anyway, excellent stream.

RyanE

"There should have been fall back positions for all forces"

This is a big mistake scenario designers make in most tactical games at this scale.  Always have a fallback position.