Discuss GrogCast Episode 13!

Started by bayonetbrant, June 02, 2015, 03:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

So, what's wrong with liking RISK?  Not nifty enough?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

I had to laugh at Brant reminding BC about playing BOTF.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Yeah yeah yeah...I need to just send Brant what I have.

GJK

I am Doug (Panzerde)- we would be wargaming grog clones in a parallel universe except I'd swap ACW for the middle ages/Renaissance stuff.

Funny to hear the "Up Front" find at Half-Price Books got a mention.  I'm going to play that part of the clip for the fiance tonight- she was with me when I found that and so she'll get a kick out of hearing that.  Funny add-on is that when I scored that and paid for it and we walked out of the store she kept saying "what is it?  what did you do? Did you steal something?"  Oh yes honey, it was definitely a steal.  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

panzerde

Quote from: GJK on June 03, 2015, 08:01:33 AM
I am Doug (Panzerde)- we would be wargaming grog clones in a parallel universe except I'd swap ACW for the middle ages/Renaissance stuff.

We may be those clones. ACW was an early and constant love of mine, way before the Renaissance stuff!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GJK

Maybe it's just the area in which I live or my luck or both but up as auction item #10 at my local Goodwill store:

Nothing in it interests me particularly but it's neat to just happen upon something like this - or not, you could look at it as the games that were abandoned....

FWIW, the auction was at $52 when I checked it Friday (with two bidders).  Auction was today, no idea what the final bid was.  At least somebody had some interest in them - so they must know what they are.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Actually, Luftwaffe was the first "real" wargame that I "played" as a 12 year old so I suppose there could of been some nostalgic emotions tied to it had the bid been lower.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

Ha! Luftwaffe was MY first wargame as well. I bought it when I was about 12 from Toys-R-Us; went with my dad to pick it out.  O0

Also have Struggle of Nations somewhere...that's a hell of a Napoleonic game you got there.

Nice find, GJK. Do all Goodwill stores do that kind of thing? I'd never seen auctions at any of them before.

GJK

The ones in the Austin area do.  They have a showcase near the front of the store with collectables and items that were of generous donation that are worth more than what you'd expect to find at a goodwill.  They will have a book out listing all of the items with the starting bid.  People can freely write in a new bid and then on Saturdays at around 2pm they hold live auctions which have become somewhat entertaining for us to watch if he happen to be by one of the locations with nothing better to do. 

A couple of months ago, somebody had donated their entire comic book/RPG collection.  It was in large file folder boxes.  There's one kid that works at my local goodwill who is in to D&D, WH40K, etc and he was just drooling going through that box trying to google some ideas on what the individual items were worth (for the auction).  I didn't make that one to see what that collection went for.  The kid at the store was a bit bummed too because they aren't allowed to purchase items from their own location as they'd always get first dibs on things that other people may want.

Oh, I did see a copy of Squad Leader (1977, original orange box) there one day.  Same kid had it priced for $60 starting bid for the auction.  It didn't sell.  I told him that he was probably getting "advanced" squad leader in his google results and that's why he was seeing high prices; that you can get the original squad leader for much less than that.  But yes, I often see wargames at goodwill and half price books in this area.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer