Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Campaign Series Middle Eas...
Last post by olddog52 - Today at 08:47:41 AM
Keep up the Good Work!
Computer Gaming / Re: WarNo by Eugen - aka WARGA...
Last post by Destraex - Yesterday at 10:36:51 PM
Quote from: rss334 on Yesterday at 09:33:25 PMSome of the red thunder maps are large enough for flanking maneuvers, you found those too small also?  The problem I've always had with combat mission was the performance,  play a large map in RT requires a lot of units and the camera spends most of the time lagging the mouse unless you turn everything in the options off or low.   It's basically unplayable, thought they were doing a performance patch on this at some point - wonder what the effect will be after the patch. 
I agree. Combat Mission's performance especially with the camera was pretty hard to take if you're not playing it in WEGO mode.
The red thunder maps were a little more expansive and yes more open to flanking. But I always wondered because of the map edges what the neighboring enemy units off the edge of the map should be doing if I flank past them on the map edge.
Last post by rss334 - Yesterday at 09:33:25 PM
Some of the red thunder maps are large enough for flanking maneuvers, you found those too small also?  The problem I've always had with combat mission was the performance,  play a large map in RT requires a lot of units and the camera spends most of the time lagging the mouse unless you turn everything in the options off or low.   It's basically unplayable, thought they were doing a performance patch on this at some point - wonder what the effect will be after the patch. 
Last post by Destraex - Yesterday at 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: Skoop on Yesterday at 10:35:44 AMI like warno too, I'll probably get the gold.

Des, if you're a stickler on realism, have tried the combat mission series ?  They've got a Cold War module, and there definitely ain't no hit points on the armor.
Yep. I own about 5 combat mission titles. I just wish they had more multiplayer options. COOP would be perfect. As it is it's hard to play with friends with such a hard core game when they are playing against you. It's just not enjoyable for them to get thier butts handed to them while I have an easy time of it simply because I know the interface. I have tried a few times with the demos.
So yeah I love combat mission even with it's really bad backdrops and very claustrophobic maps with no campaign map for context. Flanking is hard and unrealistic with a map that has such sharp edges. Sure WARNO, STEEL DIVISION 2 and even company of heroes have the same problem. But the large maps of Eugen games and or the gameplay of those games mentioned ensure that gaps appear. Even though the combat mission maps often seem large, they always felt to me like they were too small to do much but a frontal assault.

I WOULD be playing combat mission cmx2 instead of coh or eugens offerings most likely if the multiplayer aspect and the maps were sorted. The titles I own I have barely played but really liked what I did play of them.

I own and have put on steam where I can:
cmx2 normandy plus two expansions and some engine upgrades which come free on steam iirc
cmx2 italy and all but the last expansion (rome iirc)
cmx2 shock force (but not 2)
cmx2 ww2 russia

General Discussion / Re: Crown Wars : Le Prince Noi...
Last post by al_infierno - Yesterday at 02:35:02 PM
I gotta admit, Le Prince Noir is a much cooler sounding title than The Black Prince.
Last post by bobarossa - Yesterday at 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on Yesterday at 01:50:34 PMI can already hear JD snorting in Scotch.
That's one way to drink your scotch.  Tried watching the playthrough but the guy was rambling on about his high school history teacher while showing random possible moves around the map.  Does any reviewer actually stick to stuff we want to see/hear?
Last post by JasonPratt - Yesterday at 01:50:34 PM
I can already hear JD snorting in Scotch. (And Yskonyn in.... wait, I thought he was Dutch but maybe he's Belgian? Because if so he'd already be in French!)

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on the Crown Wars: Black Prince, too.
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Yesterday at 01:16:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on Yesterday at 12:55:01 PMWut

Its French, dude. We've officially gone international. Today is a great day for Grogheads.  :3musketeer:
Last post by Gusington - Yesterday at 12:55:01 PM
Wut