Limit Theory - the space sim with no limits!

Started by Huw the Poo, November 24, 2012, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Here is the latest tech demo video for Limit Theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLINRbq3QKM&hd=1

He's hit his $167K goal and is on the way to $200K for carriers (has one in the video though), but has only 29 hours to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshparnell/limit-theory-an-infinite-procedural-space-game?ref=live
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

son_of_montfort

I am in at $15, but I am so tempted to raise it to the $45 beta level. Part of me says "hey may, cool it, you have no clue if he will ever finish such an ambitious project," but another part says, "MUST SEE GAME BEFORE GENERAL RELEASE!"
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

RooksBailey

In his FAQ, he wrote:

QuoteSince Limit Theory is totally procedural, I don't have to spend day after day modeling new ships or painting new background textures. When I spend a day working on a procedural algorithm, not only does it enhance the quality of one asset, it enhances the quality of EVERY asset of that kind in the game. This is really an incredibly efficient development process. The problem of building an entire game of assets becomes the problem of building an algorithm to construct a single type of asset. It's this sweeping simplification of game development that allows me to work quickly enough to build Limit Theory as a one man team.

Now, you might be skeptical. You might think that everything will look the same after a while, perhaps because you've seen poorly-done procedural content before. But that's not the way it has to be. That's not a fundamental property of PCG. Procedural algorithms can be as complex, diverse, and varied as the author allows them to be. Since they are at the heart of Limit Theory, you can rest assured that I will be spending countless hours advancing and tuning the algorithms to make sure that they produce high-quality yet diverse content.

So there you have it. At the risk of sounding ludicrous, my claim to you is that building Limit Theory is easy. I build an algorithm for planets, ships, background nebulae, asteroids, stations, etc...and then I build the gameplay. I recognize that the latter, in particular, is quite a complex task, which is why I have allotted over a year for it.

If this is correct, I wonder if procedural generation is going to be the hot new technique in game design?  It would seem to be a big money-saver for devs.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Huw the Poo

He makes me nervous when he talks like that.  I mean, I have no reason to doubt his words at all, but he just makes it all sound so easy.  Procedural generation can be tough to get right...ask any level designer who's tried it.  Your algorithms need to be very tight to prevent things getting ridiculous whilst maintaining coherency.

Still...this is probably my most anticipated game in development right now.  I need it!

steve58

Funded at $187K...now 12 months to wait  ???

I was really hoping he'd hit $200K so we'd get carriers  :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: steve58 on December 22, 2012, 08:26:16 PM

With the amount of enthusiasm the guy has, I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks them in anyway.  I mean, who doesn't want carriers in a space sim?!

steve58

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 22, 2012, 08:53:55 PM

With the amount of enthusiasm the guy has, I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks them in anyway.  I mean, who doesn't want carriers in a space sim?!

He DID have a carrier in that last video, so I'm kinda hoping for this as well!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: steve58 on December 22, 2012, 09:05:05 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 22, 2012, 08:53:55 PM

He DID have a carrier in that last video, so I'm kinda hoping for this as well!

I think Carriers were in at $190K, and he hit it. From the email he sent, it looks like the only goal missed was seamless transitions to planet surfaces.

EDIT: OH... I see what he did there... Yeah... So... carriers are in!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

steve58

Great news!  Now I really do wish I had gotten into the beta.

Yeah, I wasn't looking at his updates on Kickstarter, just the main page.  Sounds like a lot of people were confused as well. He's got one Stretch Goals pic on the main page (towards the bottom) that he didn't change so it still shows $200K for Carriers.

Yskonyn

What I am really worried about here is that the whole game is going to feel robotic, without any soul. You often see that with too much procedurally generated content and as the whole game is like that here, I fear for its soul.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."