Main Menu

Fortnite

Started by Tpek, July 21, 2017, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

The game is very polished as is.. I don't think we're testing as such.. I'm happy to participate in such games, because they deliver a new gaming experience for the price of a new game. I don't see the problem with that. The move to F2P next year is about maximising your tail of income as the game loses visibility in the market isn't it? It has been designed from the ground up to be a loot-fest, and progression ladders and tweaking bits and bobs is the reward feedback loop that is popular nowadays.

My founders pack, allows me to play the game, level up stuff (everything), and join in now... will I still be playing it when F2P comes?, probably not.

This title has a sweet hybrid of exploration and resource gathering, coupled with meaningful crafting - in preparation of a base building and tactical combat session... plus its co-op with 3 others, so you get to shape your character and its abilities and how it fits in, in a team. It's enjoyable so far. By the time the market has had its fill of it, the F2P transition will give it some more legs for other people.

I get why people turn their nose up at the model, but some of the best online experiences I've had have been in F2P modelled games, like Planetside 2, Star Trek Online, Neverwinter Nights Online etc.. and if I'm enjoying what they bring to the table, I don't mind stumping up *some* money for it. Fortnite, just has me stumping up for a standard game, that will evolve into a F2P model laters..

Yskonyn

You make a great case there, spelk and I actually have to agree.  :notworthy:
After watching some gameplay videos I am convinced the game itself is definately something I will enjoy and I have pulled the trigger on it.
Still, the fact that some pay 150 now over F2P in 2018 is a little odd at first sight, don't you agree?  :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

spelk

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 24, 2017, 06:58:51 AM
You make a great case there, spelk and I actually have to agree.  :notworthy:
After watching some gameplay videos I am convinced the game itself is definately something I will enjoy and I have pulled the trigger on it.

I've only played it a couple of days, but I'm itching to get back in to it. So it has a certain draw..

Not trying to sell it to anyone, just thought I'd share my experiences of the game... pssst it's damn good... for now. :)

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 24, 2017, 06:58:51 AM
Still, the fact that some pay 150 now over F2P in 2018 is a little odd at first sight, don't you agree?  :)

Yeah that did strike me as odd, because normally with these sort of things you have an early "buy in" to a free to play game. But this seems to be a paid for game, that has a shelf life (and I don't know how long that is, because I don't think they've said a particular date in 2018, just some time in 2018 - I guess it depends on how well it does as a paid title and what the drop off is).. and will go F2P laters.

Some games I've payed to buy in early, have been F2P from their official "release date", like The Tomorrow Children (another PS4 title). I paid £16 to play it a few weeks earlier than the official launch date. It was complete on the early buy in.. but the F2P more or less tanked, and a year after release the servers have been shutdown. Oh, like Marvel Heroes on the consoles, it was a £15-40 odd buy in, for essentially a F2P title when it actually releases...

A lot of the big F2P'ers were originally paid games though, Planetside2, Star Trek Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lords of the Rings Online, The Secret World... (a lot of them had subscription models) and they eventually embraced the F2P microtransactions model to give their products some longevity and extended income potential.

Tpek

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 24, 2017, 02:51:43 AM
So this game goes F2P somewhere within 2018, but now you can play for anywhere between 40 and 150 euros..  :uglystupid2: WTF?
Is there a reason why this scheme has been chosen?

That's quite incorrect.

You can play the game for free starting today.
Purchasing a Founders Pack (only the most expensive one costs 150$, there are cheaper ones) simply gives a 4 day headstart (or 5 if you were Alpha-Tester).
This tiered launch access is a common scheme meant to help with the terrible loads you on MP game launches.

And the despite the game being billed as "In Beta" it's really a truly functional game.

Yskonyn

No it does not give you 'just' a headstart.
All packs include various amounts of goodies like the general XP boosts, but also hero's, weapons and the higher ones even a Legendary hero.
I have no idea what this is 'worth' in game, but to say you just get a few days headstart by paying is quite incorrect.

Where does it tell you, you can start for free? If you sign up for an Epic account the button says pre-order for me, without any aparent way to download the game otherwise?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tpek

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 24, 2017, 10:42:48 AM
All packs include various amounts of goodies like the general XP boosts, but also hero's, weapons and the higher ones even a Legendary hero.
I have no idea what this is 'worth' in game, but to say you just get a few days headstart by paying is quite incorrect.

Where does it tell you, you can start for free? If you sign up for an Epic account the button says pre-order for me, without any aparent way to download the game otherwise?

Why are you so insistent on hating the game that you seek to misquote me.

I didn't say it just gives you a headstart, I said that it gives you a 4 day headstart so you don't necessarily have to pay 150$ for the game.

And if you bothered to check the game's website, FAQ and everything you'd see that.

Grimnirsson

QuoteWhere does it tell you, you can start for free?

Good question...on the PS4 I don't see the free version as an option either...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

Quote from: Tpek on July 24, 2017, 10:56:02 AM

I didn't say it just gives you a headstart, I said that it gives you a 4 day headstart so you don't necessarily have to pay 150$ for the game.

And if you bothered to check the game's website, FAQ and everything you'd see that.

You should take a moment to read back through this thread, sir. I am not the one being insistent here.

I didn't say you will *have* to pay $150 for the game. Before you call me out for misquoting you should get your facts straight yourself.

The game is *not* free to play at this point in time. The minimum entry costs you $40. Somewhere down the line it *wil* become free to play.

So, if *you* bothered to check the game's website, FAQ and everything you'd see that, instead of calling me out like this.

Rayfer

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jomni

Tpek

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 24, 2017, 03:42:57 PM
Quote from: Tpek on July 24, 2017, 10:56:02 AM

You should take a moment to read back through this thread, sir. I am not the one being insistent here.

I didn't say you will *have* to pay $150 for the game. Before you call me out for misquoting you should get your facts straight yourself.

The game is *not* free to play at this point in time. The minimum entry costs you $40. Somewhere down the line it *wil* become free to play.

So, if *you* bothered to check the game's website, FAQ and everything you'd see that, instead of calling me out like this.

Okay, then I apologize.

Yskonyn

:notworthy:
Let's be friends in game.  :clap:

Grimnirsson

So it seems one can download the game on the PS4 although the description in the store says you need a founders pack to play...very strange.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

Yes you can indeed, its a weird artifact of how to PSN store works; all the founder packs are listed for money, but the game's progression is cross-platform between PC and PS4 as long as you have linked your PSN account in your Epicgames profile.
For people who bought on PC and want to also play on PS4 there has to be a way to download the game on PS4 without having to buy another founder pack.
Aparently even though you linked your PSN with Epic, the system cannot tell the PSN store you own the founder license already.

Many people had trouble finding the non-founder pack version on the PSN Store. It took me some searching as well.
But if you try to start the game without having bought a founders pack (either for PC or on PSN) the game won't let you login.