GETTYSBURG: THE TIDE TURNS releases at last this Thursday

Started by JasonPratt, July 11, 2017, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

The same map designer for the PC game, did the work on an upcoming Gettysburg boardgame from Compass games.

Barthheart

That is one beautiful map!  O0 Almost makes me want to play a Civil War game....

bbmike

So is the Compass game based on this, the other way around, or neither?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bboyer66

Quote from: bbmike on July 14, 2017, 08:57:15 AM
So is the Compass game based on this, the other way around, or neither?

Not sure, I was wondering the same.

Barthheart

The PC game is only $11 CDN :o Fer that price I'll probably buy it just to see it.

JasonPratt

If the board game is called "Battle Hymn: Gettysburg" then I think we'll know which came first (since official art in the PC game still reads "Battle Hymn").
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on July 14, 2017, 11:16:38 AM
The PC game is only $11 CDN :o Fer that price I'll probably buy it just to see it.

The Grog is strong with this one.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on July 14, 2017, 12:08:58 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 14, 2017, 11:16:38 AM

The Grog is strong with this one.

Hmmm I read that as "Sucker" but what the hell....

Slick Wilhelm

I'm liking this game so far. I'm playing the 1st Day scenario, and the random turns don't bother me at all. It just means that you can't always count on the same phases happening at the same time each "hour". I'm playing as the Union, and on hour 8 of 11, The XI Corps is barely hanging onto Cemetery Ridge, and half of Cemetery Hill is in Rebel hands. The Iron Brigade was shattered on Seminary Ridge, but I've managed to pull back many units before they got crushed.

Devin, Gamble and Calef are protecting the right flank, while what's left of I Corps have formed a line in front of Culp's Hill.

I'm playing on the Intermediate difficulty level.

Johnnie

I agree with Slick Wilhelm. I just started playing, but I find that the random chit drawing process works nicely and does not seem to unduly limit the player's control.  Nor do I find the game, so far, too simple for my taste.  And I expect it will be a pleasure to play the entire battle in a reasonable amount of time. (For ten bucks, no less.)

Barthheart

Initial thoughts:
Caveats:
- I have never played a Civil War game in my life... ever.  :nerd:
- I have liked Shenandoah's previous games very much.

1. Very simple game to get into. There is a quick intro to the rules and then during the first game there are more pointers as to what is happening. I don't feel this is an "intermediate" Matrix game... towards the light side. Think Battle Academy difficulty to grasp.

2. The random chit draw mechanic does not feel limiting at all. Now, I have played a few board games with this mechanic so it's not new to me. It gives a good feel for command restrictions. The random time when you can actually initiate combat is new but again doesn't feel limiting and give some battle chaos feel.

3. It's deeper than it looks at first. High ground is important. Terrain overall is important. You need to plan ahead, as much as random activation will let you, where your units will be and where the enemy will be.

4. Combat mechanics are good... as far as I can tell not being a CW gamer.

5. it's fun and interesting, which is the most important thing in gaming I think.

6. The controls are simple and the interface very easy to use. I had no trouble ordering my units around and understanding where things should and could move/shoot.

There are some bugs still even after the first patch that came out today. The save screen can be overlaid by other the day start screen for instance. Nothing was game ending but just annoying.

For $10 USD it's a no brainer for anyone who like Civil War stuff to pick up. It's a lighter, fun, quick game to play when you want to get your musket and powder gaming on and not strain your brain.

Cyrano

All other games should be as lovely and meditative as this one.

This game is aesthetically dominant.

The price tag is thievery.

I am profoundly jealous that there is no comparable Napoleonic game.

Curious re: longevity, but, given MP (hey, look, real MP from Slitherine -- HUZZAH!!) and the random chit draw, it should have legs.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Johnnie

I LIKE THE GAME AND HAVE POSTED THAT I DO.  WHY, IN GOD'S NAME DO PEOPLE PUT UP A PATCH OR HOTFIX THAT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT.  I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DOUBLE CLICK ON SAME AND BE ABLE TO PATCH.  VERY FRUSTRATING.

I AM NOT COMPUTER LITERATE. BUT MANY OF US ARE NOT.

RyanE

You're obviously computer literate enough to use CAPS lock.

Boggit

Quote from: Barthheart on July 14, 2017, 10:03:10 PM
I have never played a Civil War game in my life... ever.  :nerd:
You're kidding me! Really? :o
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat