Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Slick-
Ok, I didn't understand what you were describing.  That does sound pretty annoying.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Slick Wilhelm

Hey guys,

Version 1.07D is out. It adds a lot more gui functionality like periscope depth, crash dive, etc.

And a much more aggressive AI. I have yet to survive an encounter with an ASW helicopter with this patch. Now they throw multiple torps in the water at you.

I don't know if you guys knew this, but since patch 1.06 you can enable crew voices. Adds a lot to the game. 

mirth

^wow. That's awesome. Need to update it and play.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

Just finished a mission with the latest patch.  Fantastic job by the devs...the ability to set course and speed via the helm, and the new voices really improve the game dramatically. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on September 02, 2017, 05:36:46 PM
Hey guys,

Version 1.07D is out. It adds a lot more gui functionality like periscope depth, crash dive, etc.

And a much more aggressive AI. I have yet to survive an encounter with an ASW helicopter with this patch. Now they throw multiple torps in the water at you.

I don't know if you guys knew this, but since patch 1.06 you can enable crew voices. Adds a lot to the game.

Was just waiting to see if they had another clean-up patch coming soon, on any unforeseen issues this one may have caused, before starting a new campaign.   <:-)

The new features are great.  I'll be exceptionally happy if they've made the AI blind fire torpedoes at you, after detecting yours coming at them.  Hopefully that's part of the new aggressive AI too.  :coolsmiley:

The devs really stepped up and added what was requested.  It was a great 'sim-lite' game before.  Now it must be even better. 

Judging from the amount of viewers watching people play Cold Waters on Twitch and YT Live streams, and all the extra features the devs added after release, this title must've sold surprisingly well for them.  I was pleasantly surprised at the interest & questions by so many newcomers to the genre.  The crotchety old hardcore simmers are wrong to claim 'lite' sims aren't needed.

When they start releasing DLC that adds different playable subs & campaigns, they will have already taken my money. 

I wonder which country will get the first new expansion?  USSR?  Britain?   ???

JasonPratt

Incidentally, Slick's experience kind of mirrors part of the storyline of Red Storm Rising: I recall a team of subs launching on a bomber airfield in order to strike while the bombers are landing and most vulnerable (which is easier to predict than when they're preparing to sortie), and trying to crawl back to the safety of the ice shelf -- the harassment doesn't end well.  :'(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

I remember that part Jason. Wasn't that Operation Doolittle? USS Boston, USS Chicago..and a few other boats?

I remember attempting that in Harpoon Classic (which for me was the 1995 CD) and once you launched your SLCMs you had to haul ass because the Red Banner Northern Fleet would be throwing everything at you to hunt you down.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

JudgeDredd

As mentioned here, the changes in this game are superb. I fired it up last night for a quick blast and was impressed with the changes. They help with immersion and control of the sub  O0
Alba gu' brath

jamus34

Ironically enough I'm re reading RSR right now. The three main subs in Doolittle were Chicago, Boston and Providence.

One of the subs was damaged shortly after launch leading to their problems but yeah I imagine if you launch middles right off someone's coast they're gonna be pissed.
Insert witty comment here.

Nefaro

Quote from: jamus34 on September 07, 2017, 05:53:31 AM
Ironically enough I'm re reading RSR right now. The three main subs in Doolittle were Chicago, Boston and Providence.

One of the subs was damaged shortly after launch leading to their problems but yeah I imagine if you launch middles right off someone's coast they're gonna be pissed.

One was damaged, in the story, due to a previously unseen Grisha sitting nearby with it's engine off (or idle?) IIRC.

I recall 'Subguru' having issues with modelling that in his custom RSR campaign for Sub Command around '04 or so.  Was no in-game script for such an idling vessel which would stay that way until it detected something.  He had to just set it to spawn the Grisha when TLAMs were in the air, I think.

Toonces

Still working on this game.  Got in three interesting missions tonight.

First one, I'm looking for a wolfback of Russian diesel subs, but come across two nukes.  A few minutes of maneuvering and listening brings them in as an Alfa and a Victor II.  An Alfa?  No shit!

We're already close aboard when I enter the game, and by the time I lock these guys down we're really close, like less than 5kyds to the Alfa and maybe 7kyds to the Vic II.  So I decide to snapshot both.  Get what seems to me to be a really good shot on the Alfa.  He hears it immediately and pops off a torp down the line of bearing, then turns tail and cranks on 42kts.  Holy crap!  I have to evade his shot, and in the process I snap the wire to my torp.  I was just off axis, and I've never seen this yet, but the Alfa outruns my torp while number two takes out the Victor.  That was pretty cool.

Next encounter I come up against Mr. Alfa again, along with a Vic I.  I'm going to try to go around them, but the way I enter the mission I have no way of evading north around the Alfa before he'll hear me.  Once again, I snapshot both, but this time I stay slow and am able to get a lock on the Alfa before I have to evade.  Finally take him out with less than two minutes run time on the torp left.  Wow!

Final sortie, I come across two diesel boats, a Tango and an unidentfied second.  We're really close, like 4-5kyds when I get the Tango...I know there is at least one more diesel out there but I don't have him yet.  I'm slowly working my way around the Tango when he goes active and shoots.  No time to lose, I shoot right back with a very short run-to-enable, then turn to evade the Tango's shot.  Meanwhile, I get another active hit from diesel 2 that I still don't hear, and then there are torps everywhere.  I'm evading at least three Russian torps when one of mine hits and kills the Tango.  But then the second torp I shot down the bearing of the second diesel goes active, doesn't have the Foxtrot, circles, and then acquires me!  Oh crap!

I evade for at least 10 minutes real time and go through 15 noisemakers.  Finally I'm starting to wonder if maybe the Mk-48 has a setting that keeps hit from killing a U.S. boat so I let it close for the kill.  Turns out I was just a hot shot sub driver because it then proceeds to kill me dead.  Crap...I wish I had kept up the evasion.

So I'll revert the save, but still, quite a couple of knife fights.

Toonces

Note to self:  Stay well away from Mk-48s, that is one bitch of a torpedo to evade.

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on October 03, 2017, 08:10:11 PM
Note to self:  Stay well away from Mk-48s, that is one bitch of a torpedo to evade.

Smart torps.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Slick Wilhelm

Yep, most subs will now take a snapshot at you from the bearing of the transient of your torpedo...so once you fire you would be well-advised to go defensive.

Nefaro

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 04, 2017, 06:49:41 PM
Yep, most subs will now take a snapshot at you from the bearing of the transient of your torpedo...so once you fire you would be well-advised to go defensive.

Excellent.

Was just getting ready to start up a new campaign & see if they updated the AI with this behavior yet.  It was the only thing I had been waiting on.  :bd: