Battle of White Plains 28th Oct 1776

Started by nevermore, August 21, 2012, 09:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevermore

The historical Battle of White Plains took place on Monday, October 28, 1776, between a British Army, under the command of General Sir William Howe, and an American Army, under the command of General George Washington. About 4,000 British and Hessian troops, from a force of about 14,000 troops, were engaged in this battle with about 1,450 to 1,600 American troops, from a force of about 14,500 troops. This battle ended with a British victory, when British and Hessian troops, advancing from their encampment in Eastchester, forced the American troops defending Chatterton's Hill (now Battle Hill), in White Plains, about six miles away, to retreat, northward.
One of my fav periods and i went silly with my photo upload this week ... 168 photos of this battle on the website, took me hours to edit and put together so i suggest you get a hot drink and press the button on the slide show and sit back and enjoy.

Rough map of the battlefield and positions

Hessian skirmish and cover

Hessians cross the ford

Behide the earthworks the American forces wait.

Putnam men on Chattertons Hill

Milltia load the muskets

Hessians keep on crossing

Hessians march into position

Moral is high in the ranks

Col Haslet in on watch

Skirmish move into position on the American left flank.

McDougall forms his men

The artillery adjusting the range

British line floods forward

Hessian flags move forward onto the American left.

British line attack the American right flank to cut them off.

The battlefield left center

Reinforcements to the American right flank plug the gap.

Artillery rips holes in the flanks on the right.

Withdraw to the rear as cracks appear.

Skirmish shot delays the advance.

http://grimsbywargamessociety.webs.com/

DV8

"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

bayonetbrant

how many of these figs are custom-made, either sculpted or pieced together from other figs, and how many of them are stock figs just posed/gathered together well?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

First class stuff indeed. Such great detail on that scale, but by heck, you need plenty of room to set up in.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

nevermore

A nice collection from members of the club, most figures are Perry, odd coversion here and there but not many .. as always with Grimsby club we tend to do large games,. the premises are owned by members of the club which is a good thing.We meet every Monday night and have tables around 20 foot long by 6 foot wide and also smaller tables, we are all a bunch of guys who love the hobby and lets face it, it is better than pissing your money up against a wall, money goes into figures and terrain from subs and pays for the website we have.

bob48

^Great stuff, and well organised. As you say, having somewhere to call your own is a big boost. Do you ever put diaplays on?

I was thinking of our yearly bash, Border Reiver, which is normally at the Newcastle Metro Arena, but has been moved this year to Gateshead Stadium. There are usually a few good club displays and demo games on show, but not as many as there used to be in previous years.

'Clip those corners'

nevermore

Quote from: bob48 on August 21, 2012, 04:48:15 PM
^Great stuff, and well organised. As you say, having somewhere to call your own is a big boost. Do you ever put diaplays on?

I was thinking of our yearly bash, Border Reiver, which is normally at the Newcastle Metro Arena, but has been moved this year to Gateshead Stadium. There are usually a few good club displays and demo games on show, but not as many as there used to be in previous years.

Bob if you ever want a day out gaming you are very welcome to visit the club and we will bang a almighty game for you, we got people coming down in Oct 27th for the battle of Worth 1870 Franco-Prussian game, gonna be a big battle this one.
As for displays Sheffield is one .
But you are very welcomed at the club and can arrange a all day game any weekend for you.

bob48

Sounds great. I'll see what I can sort out. I'm quite interested in the Franco-Prussian war, and we did start (a year or two ago) to do some 10mm stuff for it using DBA rules, but unfortunately, it died due to lack of spare time.

'Clip those corners'

nevermore

Well its a 28mm game 30 battalions of Prussians and a lot of french on a 22 foot table, train station is only a 5 minute drive from the club, so i can pick you up np, and we are friendly and you won't feel lefted out.

bob48

I#'m working on it - have a lot going on ATM, so I'll need to check with my social secretary (the missus!).

'Clip those corners'