Vanguard: Normandy 1944

Started by MengJiao, September 06, 2018, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

I had not heard about this WWII realism shooter.  I guess it is something of a craze (the "realism" -- whatever that means -- sort of post-Red-Orchestra and its mods) -- there's Post Scriptum -- which I think will evolve and stay in the repetoire -- Hell somethin' Somethin' (not Hell on Wheels....but...somethin') and now this. 

Anyway, this seems to be the website of the group that is working on the (game?  Mod?):

https://www.tractionwars.com/index.html

Sounds promising -- can't have too much WWII realism I've always thought.

AND you can be a "revered" (as in Reverend Commando Dude Man) Commando -- in case you have forgotten "Commando" (which I believe -- like "point blank" and "Bygory" is heavily re-routed from the Portuguese) -- yes -- commandos were those people that landed in tricky spots and fought hard.  OR the 6th Airborne (yes. the ones that went to Normandy by air for the most part).  Or the dreaded Wehrmacht Ostruppen and Ear-and-Stomach battalions!  And Krug (I hope) as the Final Boss:

https://www.vanguardww2.com/

Right!!!!

Destraex

new website

Don't see any vehicles. It does look good though without reading the site yet.
Another "realistic" ww2 shooter. However it does not seem to me to be superior to Post Scriptum in any way, no vehicles in sight for a start. It is interesting to see just how many competing ww2 shooters are coming atm. We have Hell Let Loose, Post Scriptum (released just now), Vanguard, Battlefield 5, Call of duty ww2 (recent release) amongst what I am sure are a few more.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

IronX

MengJiao

Quote from: IronX on September 06, 2018, 08:36:07 AM
Good, albeit lengthy, overview:

Well, we did get to hear "Merville Battery, captured by my regiment." (Mengjaio notes: ie Parachute and maybe the 3rd battalion IIRC?)

Jarhead0331

Single player, or will this be just another wasted opportunity that caters solely to the mp crowd?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 06, 2018, 09:12:47 AM
Single player, or will this be just another wasted opportunity that caters solely to the mp crowd?

Looks multiplayer to me.  Don't you want to shoot your way through Oistreham?  (note: no footage was harmed in not displaying the
as-yet-not-built Oistreham portion of the Commando module.)

Geezer

The problem with all these MP shooters is the bottom dwellers who use aimbot and such.  They ruin the games for me anyway.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

Other people ruin almost everything for me. Do I have to beg for single player?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yes, but you'll be begging other people so....

Gusington

Can I please get a decent WWII shooter SP campaign? For the love of all that is holy!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MC

Quote from: Gusington on September 06, 2018, 12:30:00 PM
Can I please get a decent WWII shooter SP campaign? For the love of all that is holy!!

^  :clap:

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on September 06, 2018, 08:04:06 AM
new website

Don't see any vehicles. It does look good though without reading the site yet.
Another "realistic" ww2 shooter. However it does not seem to me to be superior to Post Scriptum in any way, no vehicles in sight for a start. It is interesting to see just how many competing ww2 shooters are coming atm. We have Hell Let Loose, Post Scriptum (released just now), Vanguard, Battlefield 5, Call of duty ww2 (recent release) amongst what I am sure are a few more.

Re: Vanguard -- great name!  CryEngineV!  Weirdness!  Early Access!  I'll be there.  I suspect we will get to storm the Merville battery and take that bridge near Benonville a few hundred times before the commandos come ashore.

Hell Let loose and Post scriptum -- Both Unreal4 I think.  I believe I'll just stick to Post Scriptum since the horrible graphics are not as bloomy and murky and fuzzy as what I've seen from Hell-in-anutshell-let -loose.

Battlefield V and Call-of-Duty -- I can just go back to Heroes and generals and/or War thunder for unimaginative fantasy battle games festooned with glowing messages -- the only glowing message you get in Post scriptum warns you not to shoot people on your side (in green or blue).  Oh you also get "projectile destroyed"....but that's kinda metaphysical.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Geezer on September 06, 2018, 11:04:37 AM
The problem with all these MP shooters is the bottom dwellers who use aimbot and such.  They ruin the games for me anyway.

Aimbot? Seriously?  :uglystupid2:

One MORE reason I don't play MP stuff.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Con

Is this video from the jasonpratt school of reviews?
Quote from: IronX on September 06, 2018, 08:36:07 AM
Good, albeit lengthy, overview:

CJReich46

Quote from: DoctorQuest on September 06, 2018, 03:03:14 PM
Quote from: Geezer on September 06, 2018, 11:04:37 AM

Aimbot? Seriously?  :uglystupid2:

One MORE reason I don't play MP stuff.

Ditto.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose