Star Wars: X-Wing

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 12, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Bison on July 18, 2015, 08:56:55 AM
Trying to decide what to pick up first.  I'm leaning toward the 2 aces packs or Falcon/Slave I.

I think the Falcon offers the best overall value in that it is a great miniature and it also comes with a tonne of ship variant cards, upgrades, movie characters for crew members, and a pretty cool scenario where the Falcon has to raid an Imperial supply convoy in order to steal some prototype goodies.  You'll need 100 points worth of Imperial ships in order to play it though.

The Slave I isn't as interesting a package but the ship itself has some cool and unique features such the ability to drop mines and secondary weapons with non-standard firing arcs.  The scenario that comes in the package isn't that interesting though.  Basically, the rebels build a force with 150 points and designate one ship as carrying a bounty.  The Slave I has to take that ship out.  That's it.  (Plus I never cared for the look of the Slave I.  I feel it combines the sleek lines of an egg beater with the aerodynamics of a waffle iron and the aesthetics of a lamprey.)

I have the Imperial Aces pack.  Lots of interesting pilot cards and some neat upgrades.  It comes with two TIE Interceptors with non-standard paint schemes.  It's completely subjective but I think the red one looks goofy and a little out of place.  The one with the red stripe looks awesome though.   I haven't yet tried the scenario that comes with the pack but it sounds like it'll be great.  The Imperials have a secret weapons base  consisting of a bunch of hollowed out asteroids.  the Rebels launch a raid only to discover that each of the asteroids its own unique defense system and these need to be overcome in addition to dealing with the Interceptors flying CAP.

I've ordered the Rebel Aces pack but it hasn't arrived yet.  Sounds like that one's now out of print so you might want to grab one up while they're still available.  I don't know if FFG is just out temporarily and is planning another print run or if they are not going to put out that pack any more.

The Lambda shuttle has folding wings!  That's totally worth it being kinda useless in combat, right?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Got the Rebel transport and the Rebel aces packs today.  My collection is now complete.  (Maybe...kinda eying the Decimator now...)

The Rebel aces pack comes with a non-standard A-Wing and a non-standard B-Wing.  The paint jobs seem a little rougher than on other miniatures.

The Rebel transport pack comes with the transport (aka a giant, defenseless target for TIE bombers) and an X-Wing with a non-standard paint job.

The best thing about the pack?  It comes with Porkins.  I'm going to copy the card and make nothing but fleets of Porkins (Porkii?) clones.

BanzaiCat

The Rebel Aces pack is still showing as available on Amazon, fortunately. It's been on my watch list for a while now. SDR, do you have the 'standard' A-wing or B-wing, by chance?

And dammit...I didn't want the Rebel Transport (though I had the toy back in the day, the big ugly slug thing but I loved it because it held so many Star Wars figures), but if Porkins is in it...dammit dammit dammit! Also want the TIE Defender...

I'm actually vacillating between buying more X-Wing Minis and starting an Armada collection. #firstworldproblems

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 22, 2015, 06:09:22 AM
The Rebel Aces pack is still showing as available on Amazon, fortunately. It's been on my watch list for a while now. SDR, do you have the 'standard' A-wing or B-wing, by chance?

And dammit...I didn't want the Rebel Transport (though I had the toy back in the day, the big ugly slug thing but I loved it because it held so many Star Wars figures), but if Porkins is in it...dammit dammit dammit! Also want the TIE Defender...

I'm actually vacillating between buying more X-Wing Minis and starting an Armada collection. #firstworldproblems

And yet you can't swing the dough to come to Origins.....  ::)

BanzaiCat

Origins is hundreds of dollars for a hotel, hundreds of dollars for a flight, and at least a few hundred for food and a game or two (kind of silly to not go without some kind of fundage to buy sh*t). For me we're talking about $1500. That's a far, far cry from $15 a pop.

Also saw that the convention center Origins stays in is being renovated in 2016, so they'll have to move stuff around. Doesn't sound like it would be a good time, at least not for me.

Though I guess if I stop buying $5 games on Steam, I might save up enough in five or six years to finally go to one.  ::)

mirth

I need to stop looking at this thread, otherwise I'm going to start buying this crap!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 22, 2015, 06:09:22 AM

And dammit...I didn't want the Rebel Transport (though I had the toy back in the day, the big ugly slug thing but I loved it because it held so many Star Wars figures), but if Porkins is in it...

Yes, I posted pics of the standard A and B-Wings earlier in the thread.  I was in the same boat with the transport.  I wasn't going to get it until I learned that Porkins was in there, raiding the frozen burrito stores hidden in the back.

BanzaiCat

^ Whoops, sorry, my bad...forgot that you'd posted that.

It's been a while since I've ogled my minis...I don't have too many but they should get some oglin'.

Silent Disapproval Robot

CoolStuffInc sells the fighters for $9.99 ea.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 22, 2015, 11:51:05 AM

I didn't need to know this  :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 22, 2015, 11:51:05 AM

Do you have a direct link to individual fighters? All I'm seeing is the Core Set, HWK-290, Rebel Aces, VT-49, and YT-2400...no individual fighters though, or anything else coming up. The prices of those are just a bit under Amazon's, but lower is lower...

BanzaiCat

Well,  >:(

Why aren't those coming up in a search? Maybe its Search feature is too fiddly.

In any case, thanks much for this, it's an awesome resource. It's a good deal cheaper than Amazon.  O0

BanzaiCat

Welp, today is my wife and my anniversary (22 years, holy hell), and she is spending it on a girl's weekend, going out of town with some friends.

Don't know if I should be insulted or thrilled I get some 'me' time. 8)

She took off with some cash so she can spend it on herself, so I decided to do the same. Bought these X-Wing minis for my collection. They should be here just before my b-day next month anyway so my daughter and I will have some fun pushing these things around (especially the big boy, I'm really looking forward to that one!).

The Decimator is pretty badass: