Counter clippers

Started by Philippe, October 20, 2017, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Does anyone have any good pointers on an inexpensive counter clipper?

I have an Amazon Prime membership trial that's going to expire in about a week and I'm tired of clipping counters with an exacto knife.

I've seen some very inexpensive corner cutters, but am wondering if I wouldn't be better off with something that holds the counter snuggly.

I'm also wondering if all counter cutters work on oversize counters (e.g. large pike formations).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Barthheart

mirth

Invest in an Oregon Lamination trimmer - https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Rounder-Cutter/dp/B00G08PEXO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508517623&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=oregon+laminations+2mm+deluxe+corner+rounder

If you're not looking to spend that much money, just buy a good set of nail clippers and use those for counter trimming. You won't get the uniform cuts you do with the Oregon Lamination trimmer, but clippers have to be easier than an exacto knife.

I love my OL trimmer and could never go back to clippers now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on October 20, 2017, 11:39:18 AM
Don't do it.
>:(

Ignore this guy. He's an angry hippie from Canuckistan.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Philippe

Naive question. 

What's the difference between 2.5 mm, 3 mm, and 5 mm radius corner rounder besides the price ?

Does 2.5 mm produce a sharper corner than 5 mm? 

Can all three sizes work on a counter (I'm assuming the answer is yes), and is the difference between the radii that 2.5 gives a sharp 90 degree angle on the corner, 3 mm gives a slight rounding, and 5 mm gives a very rounded corner?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

mirth

Quote from: Philippe on October 20, 2017, 12:14:05 PM
Naive question. 

What's the difference between 2.5 mm, 3 mm, and 5 mm radius corner rounder besides the price ?

Does 2.5 mm produce a sharper corner than 5 mm? 

Can all three sizes work on a counter (I'm assuming the answer is yes), and is the difference between the radii that 2.5 gives a sharp 90 degree angle on the corner, 3 mm gives a slight rounding, and 5 mm gives a very rounded corner?

It's the radius of the cut. None if them will give a sharp 90 degree cut. These trimmers give a nice rounded corner, the only difference is the amount of the counter that is trimmed off. I have the 2.5mm model and it works fine for my needs. For larger counters, you might want the 3mm trimmer.

I have pics somewhere of some of my trimmed counters. I'll see what I can find for you.

We also have a long running thread about the merits of trimming here - http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17767.0

mirth

Here are a couple pics (Barth's brain will probably explode)

bbmike

^Nice looking counters.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on October 20, 2017, 11:45:56 AM
Don't do it.

not only that, but he loves the pre-rounded counters that everyone's shipping with these days! :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 20, 2017, 12:56:01 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 20, 2017, 11:45:56 AM
Don't do it.

not only that, but he loves the pre-rounded counters that everyone's shipping with these days! :)

He is strange.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on October 20, 2017, 12:37:44 PM
Here are a couple pics (Barth's brain will probably explode)

trailrunner

I have the Oregon Lamination deluxe 2mm clipper and am very happy with it.  It's $50 on Amazon.

mirth

Quote from: trailrunner on October 20, 2017, 01:57:57 PM
I have the Oregon Lamination deluxe 2mm clipper and am very happy with it.  It's $50 on Amazon.

That's what I paid for the 2.5mm. Well worth the cost, imo.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak