Main Menu

Netflix versus Hulu

Started by Bison, January 10, 2014, 09:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2014, 11:43:50 AM
Has Amazon improved their video player? I did a trial Prime membership a year or so ago to try the streaming service and I thought the video player was far inferior to the Netflix player. Also the search sucked. The free and pay video options were lumped together so it felt like I had to wade through a bunch of stuff I didn't need or want.

Netflix is a little more per month and you don't get the other benefits of a Prime Membership, but it's far easier to use when it comes to just watching movies and programs.

I have an Amazon Prime membership because we buy a lot from Amazon and the free shipping pays for the subscription price pretty damn quickly. As for their video streaming, I don't have any problem with it at all. The search could definitely be improved, but the videos themselves play fine on my iPad, TV and computer. What I have found is that a lot of times Netflix won't have a title I'm interested in but Amazon does, with the caveat that if it's not on Amazon Prime you will have to part with a few bucks for it. Anytime I see a "movies you should have seen" list or "best horror movies you missed" list, I go to Amazon and tag them, then go to Netflix to see if they are there.

Netflix is starting to produce some good, original shows and that's another point in their favor.

Staggerwing

Netflix is poised to become more of a searchable 'USA Network/FX Channel' than an 'HBO/On Demand' entity such as Amazon is currently.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 11, 2014, 02:54:24 PM
Netflix is poised to become more of a searchable 'USA Network/FX Channel' than an 'HBO/On Demand' entity such as Amazon is currently.

Yeah, agreed. Amazon is more my "gotta see it now" choice where I know I may have to part with a few bucks, whereas Netflix is where I go when I'm undecided and just want to watch something. Both have their virtues.

Toonces

Good thread.

At this point I'm probably just going to keep our current cable set up, but I already told the wife that when we move to our next duty station we're going to try the Netflix/Amazon thing instead of cable.  I mean seriously, our cable bill is something like $160/month right now and I know that I personally don't watch nearly enough TV to justify that kind of money.

It's the internet thing that's the problem, because it seems like the cable companies bundle the internet with the TV package so that it's almost not cost-effective to cut the cable and still require internet.  I'll have to research my options wherever I go next.  There just aren't as many options out here as there likely are on the mainland.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

We've also toyed with ditching cable and keeping Netflix streaming, which we're very happy with. Our fee of 8.00/month is also awesome for the amount of content available at Netflix. Never tried Hulu but we hate commercials so I don't think we ever will.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on January 12, 2014, 03:51:15 PM
We've also toyed with ditching cable and keeping Netflix streaming, which we're very happy with. Our fee of 8.00/month is also awesome for the amount of content available at Netflix. Never tried Hulu but we hate commercials so I don't think we ever will.

Hulu never seems to have what I want, or if it does, not an entire season. I've subscribed to Hulu Prime twice and cancelled within three months each time. Just not enough quality there and entirely too much crap for filler.

Bison

Do any of them carry USA or History channel programing like the Vikings?

mirth

I'm not a fan of the Hulu-plus model. The idea of a paid subscription and still having to watch commercials doesn't work for me. If I have to watch advertising, the content should be free.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

I paid for Vikings on Amazon. Don't know if it was on Hulu or not, I didn't bother to look. Frankly, since I don't pay for cable, paying $25 bucks or so for the occasional "can't miss" show doesn't bother me, especially since I can go back and watch all the episodes whenever I like.

Gusington

Netflix has a ton of older History Channel programs and it also had The Vikings, that's how I got caught up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2014, 08:42:17 AM
Netflix has a ton of older History Channel programs and it also had The Vikings, that's how I got caught up.

Don't correct me.  So I can watch History Channel's Vikings on Netflix, I suspect it's just a few months delayed.  That's fine with me.  I only watch TV about one a month or two.

Gusington

^It's also how I watch The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Sons of Anarchy and almost every movie since I am antisocial and hate movie theaters. Beware though that it is longer for releases of big series and films, but it doesn't matter to me.

One key missing link from Netflix is HBO programming but I have HBO so it's a moot point for me. For others that might matter.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

That's cool.   I don't watch hbo. 

Staggerwing

All this may be moot when Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu will have to jack up their subscriptions to cover bandwidth costs that the ISPs are about to slam them with:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8985.0

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd