Best Modern Device for a Writer?

Started by Gusington, April 13, 2012, 10:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I always keep trying Toonces. Always!

Related to this thread, I am looking to build my own site for creative fiction. Anyone recommend some blogging software/site to use?

The Wife recommends Google's offerings and I have used Wordpress.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2012, 03:06:21 PM
Related to this thread, I am looking to build my own site for creative fiction. Anyone recommend some blogging software/site to use?

I run GrogNews on Blogger
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Blogspot.

We might be able to carve off a corner here for you, too.

Gusington

^It's going to be a historical-based fiction site with heavy supernatural influence. It kinda sorta fits here but kinda sorta doesn't.

Are GrogNews and Blogger user friendly?

Also are they free? If I want more bells and whistles than something basic I am guessing I will have to pay a little bit.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2012, 05:20:27 PM
^It's going to be a historical-based fiction site with heavy supernatural influence. It kinda sorta fits here but kinda sorta doesn't.

Are GrogNews and Blogger user friendly?

Also are they free? If I want more bells and whistles than something basic I am guessing I will have to pay a little bit.

If you can send an email, you can use Blogger. Seriously, a mentally deficient monkey could probably do pretty well using Blogger. And it's tied in with Google, so your Google account already includes it.

You could also try the free version of Wordpress. No idea how limited it is, though.

Gusington

Did you just call me a mentally deficient monkey? Well better than midget or dwarf I guess.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2012, 07:48:32 PM
Did you just call me a mentally deficient monkey? Well better than midget or dwarf I guess.

You only attain the rank of mentally deficient monkey if you prove capable of using Blogger. Fail at that and I guess you're some sort of fungus.

Gusington

I did just have a nasty case of athlete's foot.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

I run my blog on blogger and have been fairly happy with the service.  Its very easy to use and manage.  They have some nice add-ons to spruce up your blog.  Its free so the worst that could happen is you try it, don't like it and move on.  If you already have a G-mail account you can quickly setup a temp blog just to have a look at the blogger interface.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^Cool, thank you. Do the more snazzy add-ons for these blog platforms cost money?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on May 06, 2012, 04:25:42 PM
^Cool, thank you. Do the more snazzy add-ons for these blog platforms cost money?

Not that I am aware of.  That is to say I don't think blogger sells any add-ons (I could be wrong I've never actually looked).  Also there are plenty of free add-ons floating around the internet.  You can copy the code into blogger's interface and use them.  Most integrate well with blogger but some need a bit of tweaking.  If you know how to write code you can always make your own. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^I am looking at Wordpress right now. They have a nice one for image-centric sites, which mine will be. Haven't looked around at Blogger or Tumblr yet.

I have also made the realization that once I start this thing I will have to join Facebook and the 21st century for some exposure. Not excited about that really.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2012, 10:57:16 AM
^I am looking at Wordpress right now. They have a nice one for image-centric sites, which mine will be. Haven't looked around at Blogger or Tumblr yet.

I have also made the realization that once I start this thing I will have to join Facebook and the 21st century for some exposure. Not excited about that really.

The key to Facebook is in how you use it.

I almost never go on there to catch up with people. I use it to upload images of my family for family members.

The other thing is that you'll want to seriously consider every friend request. Not all "friends" are "friends." Grousing on FB about work can land you in serious trouble if you have a co-worker who can see your post and decides to make an issue of it.

FB has become better at allowing you to create groups from which you can wall-off certain info, but the truth is I don't trust it. I think it's a must to have a FB account, but I prefer the info be predominately one-way: from FB to me. I send up very little to it.

Staggerwing

+1 on the FB care and feeding. I don't join ANYTHING on FB. No games, no groups, no nuttin'. Read the small print. Many of those things require you to give them permission to pass on your private info as well as postings and also linking to your account for others to see even if you've firewalled it off from anyone other than chosen friends. No thanks!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys