WORLD OF GROGHAWK Dom 3 Experimental Game (registration open)

Started by JasonPratt, May 19, 2013, 09:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

By request from the Groghammer thread, and possibly also our new Early Age game (we'll see)...

Last update: May 19, 2013

Host:PBEM Llamaserver.
Official game name: WORLD of GROGHAWK
Map: Oeridia
How Often on Turns: standard 48 hours to turn 20, slowing down to standard 72 hours late game if necessary upon player request. Players may also request temporary extensions. Remember that turns may also occur as fast as all players submit turns.
Number of Players: To be decided
Required Mods:  Single Age Complete and Other People's Mods 6 (if we agree).
Activated Mods: These mods are only artistic mods and don't affect gameplay objectively. I will be activating them for the game so the Llamaserver will know to apply them if you install them, but if you decide not to install them don't worry. Streamers and Standards Mod (llamabeast version) has been found far more useful than vanilla, so I recommend you at least install this! (It makes nation flags much MUCH easier to recognize at a glance.) I couldn't find Upgraded Sprites Mod  and the Community Sprites Mod on the mod activation list for the game this time, but I'll activate those, too, if someone can point me to them. (I may have to reupload them maybe...?)

"Other People's Mods 6" is a combination of three very popular mods (CBM 1.94, AwesomeEndgame, AwesomeGods) plus some bugfixes. "Single Age Complete" tweaks the Dom game to allow access to all ages.

Non-Standard Settings: Special Site freq. 75% (to help with experimentation), Hall of Fame entries 15, Renaming is allowed, No graphs, Independents 7

Victory Conditions: Whoever conquers and holds half the victory points first. Victory points are only found in capitols, and the player must hold half simultaneously. See the FAQ below for further details.

Diplomacy Policy: None; do as you wish, keeping in mind consequences in future games, as well as later in that game (if you stab someone early, any alliance later in that game is likely to prove less trustworthy). Trades should be fulfilled.

Cheesy Tricks: This is an experimental game, so try whatever.  ;D

WHO ARE THE PLAYERS AND WHAT ARE THEIR FACTIONS/NATIONS?

PLAYERS: NATIONS
JasonPratt: Early Age Ulm (Germanic human panzers)

Other players still to be determined, and will be added/altered as we go along. Note that even after gamestart, a player may change factions, or a faction may get a new player, under special conditions.

GAMESTART CRITERIA!! -- THE GAME WILL START ONCE THE FINAL REGISTERED PLAYER SUBMITS HIS PRETENDER!!

The original post was too long to include the players:nations list, so I've moved a whole bunch of anticipated questions (including how to play it by email) to the next comment.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Some Fraternally Anticipated Questions

HOW MANY PLAYERS WILL WE HAVE?

As many as who want to play, up to the limit (100 players).

WHAT IF WE DON'T WANT TO PLAY A REALLY LARGE GAME?

This might actually be a small game!--I don't know yet how many will be signing up. I chose an ultra-large map to give everyone room for experimentation even if a large number of people join, but if only a few people join I'll probably pick or generate a smaller map.

If this turns out to be a large game, though, and some people want to play a small game, let me know in comments below, and I'll set up a small game, or even a few small games.

WHAT MAP WILL WE USE?

Whichever map I damn well want to use.  ;D

I won't absolutely settle on that until I have an idea of how many people will be in the game, however. (Until then it's Oeridia, also known as the World of Greyhawk, the original Dungeons and Dragons continental map.) Also, if someone has a problem with a map I suggest, I'll try another suggestion.

HOW DO WE GET AND INSTALL THE MAP?!

I'll post instructions on that below (since I'm edging into wordcount limits with this FAQ), and link to it here when I do.

CAN WE HAVE A GAME WITH TWO OR ALL THREE AGES?

I have set this game to allow it, but I still need to test if the slight game mod will break other mp games you may be running concurrently.

WILL WE HAVE A-I OPPONENTS?

Probably not since this game is for experimentation, and so is intended to be somewhat more laid-back and slow-running casual than other games. AI factions might mess with that pacing.

CAN WE PLAY UNDERWATER FACTIONS?

This is an experimental game, so yes, underwater factions are allowed.

IS THIS GAME FRIENDLY FOR NEWBIES?

Kind of yes or no? It's an experimental game.

That being said, please leave the stronger nations for the newbies and be so kind as to choose a weaker nation if you have enough experience with Dom 3. We should all be able to learn from each other. (Also note however that some factions are so overpowered or hated that everyone will instantly ally against them, so an experienced player may prefer to go "contra mundum" with those.)

WHAT DOES "INDEPENDENT 7" MEAN AND WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT?

That "Independent" level of 7 means there will likely be some fairly strong bandits infesting unclaimed territories. While they won't go out and attack, this will make expansion difficult at first and provide buffers between factions. This can help new players survive longer (by insulating them from other factions who are more of a threat), but on the other hand you may get trounced badly while trying to expand and end up well behind the improvement curve. As with just about everything in this game there are pros and cons to everything, but this leads to the question of when/how to quit.

CAN I, THE PLAYER, QUIT WHENEVER I WISH?

If you think your situation is hopeless, convert your side to an AI faction, or if you don't know how email me (or post here on the thread) and I'll admin your faction over into the AI. Don't just ignore the game, because if that happens the Llamaserver will always take the maximum time to resolve the turns and the game will slow down for the rest of us. Which leads to the question of stalling (or rather "staleing", as in making stale) the game.

WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEONE STALES THE GAME?

The game (specifically the Llamaserver) will automatically send out moves when it reaches whatever deadline is currently set by the admin. However, it also sends out moves once everyone sends in their turns, resetting and moving forward the deadline. But if someone doesn't send in their moves that turn, they've forced everyone to wait the maximum time for a new turn, thus making the game "stale" -- also their turn reaches its expiration date and so goes "stale".

When that happens, the game simply pretends that this player (or these players if more than one) has chosen not to do anything that turn other than things which would automatically happen anyway (mainly research or continuation of fortress construction).

If a player stalls the game three times and I can't get in touch with you, I'm going to start looking for ways to kick your faction out of the game or AI it. I'll do it non-judgmentally (because horrible things happen in real life that prevent us from getting back to games), but I'll do it to protect the flow of the game for the rest of us. LET ME KNOW IF POSSIBLE!

This by the way is the main reason why you should send me the email address you'll be sending and receiving your turns from. I don't need this to switch you to AI however; it's purely another way (besides private forum messages and this game thread) for me to contact you if your turns start staleing.

WHAT DOES THE HOSTING TIME MEAN?

It tells the server how long to wait before generating a new turn automatically. The standard hosting time can be extended whenever the admin wants, so if you know you aren't going to be available for more than 2 days let me know and I'll temporarily increase the turnaround time. My Grog account has an email button and a pmail button under my avatar to the left of any of my posts, or you can post here on the thread.

CAN WE HAVE A SLOWER TURNAROUND TIME?

If a player wants a slower turnaround time as standard, discuss it here; we're generally pretty flexible. At a later stage in the game, we may switch to a longer standard turnaround time anyway.

CAN WE HAVE A FASTER TURNAROUND TIME?

The Llamaserver always allows the game to move along as quickly as everyone can manage to send in their turns. We could have five or ten turns a day (in theory) if everyone is on the ball and sending their turns back! So in that sense, there is no need for a short standard turnaround time, except to artificially add pressure to the game.

IF SOMEONE MISSES A TURN CAN WE RELOAD AND GO BACK?

While we can start new games fresh, we cannot roll back a turn. (Llamaserver theoretically allows this, but the feature is bugged and corrupts save games.) This leads into the topic of  the most likely reason we have to restart the game early.

GAHH!!--I STARTED MY FIRST TURN AND THE GAME ACCUSED ME OF CHEATING AND ALTERED MY PRETENDER AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AAAHHH!!

When you are creating your pretender, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALREADY FIRST INSTALLED THE BALANCE MOD AND ALSO ACTIVATED IT IN-GAME!! This must be done first. Otherwise what will happen is that the game will activate the mod for you once the game officially starts, and then list you as trying to hack the game with your pretender, adjusting your pretender for you to fit in various ways. (This happened to me myself on my first multiplayer game with the balance mod!) That will only happen on the first turn, so if we don't all get a message about someone "cheating" then this wasn't a problem.

It is possible that you don't have the pretender you thought you were getting, but we'll cover that later.

This leads now to the topic of installing mods.

MOD INSTALLING CAN BE HARD -- HOW HARD IS IT IN DOM3?

Installing mods is easy. The only mod you'll absolutely have to install is the balance mod listed above, Other Peoples Mods 6 (a combination of three popular balance mods). You can download that from the link provided.

Once you download OPM6 (or graphic mods), the easiest thing to do is move the zipped file into the Dom3 "mods" folder and extract them directly there ("extract here" is the usual command) saying "yes to all" if prompted to overwrite. If you already have CMB 1.94, this shouldn't affect any other mp games you're currently using with it. (But I'll test that soon.)

Once this is done, when you boot up Dom3 the game will show icons in the upper right. This indicates the mods are present but not necessarily that they're enabled yet.

Thus you must go to the main Dom3 menu, click the "Preferences" button, and in the next list you'll see at the bottom "Mod preferences". Click that, and you should now see a window showing all available mods and which ones are are already enabled. Just to be safe, click each mod and see what changes. You want to make sure at least the OPM6 mod is enabled before you create your pretender for the game.

A player called momfreak has created a webpage called Mod Inspector that allows you to select some mods that you will be using for the game and then display accurate information about all the spells and items in the game. You can also view the stock vanilla game data with this webpage. Super handy as reference, especially since the game's printed instructions aren't always detailed enough to begin with (and data has sometimes been changed anyway by the balance mod).

HOW DO WE START THE GAME?

Once I create the game on Llamaserver (which I won't do until I'm sure about the age) every player must send your pretender to Llamaserver. This kind of counts as turn 0, and also counts as officially registering to play the game.

HOW DO WE SEND OUR PRETENDER TO THE GAME SERVER?

You must send your pretender file as an attachment to: pretenders@llamaserver.net

You absolutely must put the name of the game (and nothing else) in the email title. The title of the game is World_of_Groghawk (use the underscores for spaces, don't worry about formatting or exclamation points. ;) ) Don't put anything in the body of the email.

WHERE CAN I FIND THE PRETENDER I CREATED SO I CAN SEND MY PRETENDER IN?

You can find your pretender file in your Dominions 3\savegames\newlords folder.
It has a file format <era>_<nation>_#.2h

Usually that filename at the end will be 0.2h, but if you try multiple pretender options for the same era and nation the game will save them as 1.2h, 2.2h, etc. You can send any of those to Llamaserver. Dom3 is not good about easily identifying which pretender version you're sending! -- nor does the game allow you to load up and tweak a previously created pretender. So it will be up to you to make a note somewhere that (for example) your first pretender was a vampire queen and the second was a red dragon, and the third was the vampire queen again but with some different magic options than the first one; and if you decide to go with the red dragon pretender you'll have to send the 1.2h file.

You can send a replacement pretender this way, too: it will overwrite any pretenders you've already sent for the same era/nation.

This is the most difficult part of participating in the game. Everything else is much easier.

DOES THE MULTIPLAYER GAME SAVE TO THE DOM3 SAVEGAME FOLDER, OR WHAT EXACTLY?

Once you've sent in your pretender (or even before then), create a new folder inside the Dom3 "savegame" folder, and name it something you'll recognize as this game. (Don't use spaces in naming it, or Dom3 won't recognize it. Underscores_like_this are fine.)

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE WE MUST DO TO START THE GAME ROLLING?

Theoretically some things like the map and mods could be changed, but unless I have to recreate the game from scratch all you need to do is send in your pretender. At some point I'll tell Llamaserver to kick off the game once all pretenders are submitted, and after that (and after all pretenders are actually submitted) the game will autostart and you will receive your first turn in the mail. Specifically you'll receive an email with a message from the server saying this is your new game turn, and it will come with an attachment.

WHAT DO I DO WHEN I RECEIVE MY FIRST TURN IN THE MAIL?

Download the attachment, which will have a .trn on the end, and save it into that folder you created for this particular game. I also recommend you keep this email somewhere at least until you receive the next turn.

I HAVEN'T RECEIVED A NEW TURN YET -- WHAT CAN I DO?

I've provided link up above to the Llamaserver page, which is mostly useful for checking which turns have been received and if new turns have been sent out. If it says your turn has been sent and you don't have it yet, you can click a button on that page for resending your turn. This usually fixes the problem. (You can also resend anyone's turn to them this way! It won't break their turn to do so, so don't bother trying to do this to mess with their game. ;) )

I RECEIVED A TURN BUT WHEN I TRY TO USE IT THE GAME CALLS IT CORRUPTED! WHAT THE HELL NOW?!

Very rarely your turn may be sent corrupted. If so get it resent. If it's still corrupted, let me know; I'll probably be able to email it to you myself, and that usually fixes the problem from there onward.

OKAY I'VE DOWNLOADED MY NEW TURN TO THE FOLDER FOR THIS MULTIPLAYER GAME -- NOW WHAT?

Now start up Dom3, and click the "Play an ongoing game" button (or whatever it's called, not the new game button) on the first menu. Dom3 will look around for ongoing games, and if you named your folder right and put your .trn file in that folder, this game will show up as an option. You'll have to click to select it, and then affirm your selection with another click on the button for actually playing the game.

Dom3 will then give you another window showing it's ready to load turn whatever of the "{game age} {your faction here}" game. You can cancel and go back if you're preparing the wrong game, otherwise click on that name to continue. From here on you're in the game doing your various things for your turn, starting off by reading any messages, watching movies of battles, etc. (This part isn't necessarily easy.  ;D )

CAN WE SAVE THE GAME WITHOUT ENDING A TURN, OR START OVER FRESH ON A TURN IF WE MADE A MISTAKE?

You can go to the "option" menu while playing your turn and quit out of your game without saving, or save the game and quit. This won't end the turn yet, but it will allow you to come back later and finish your turn or start over fresh on it. (Loading any game you've already done things with will give you the option to continue or start over fresh.)

HOW DO WE END THE TURN WHEN WE'RE DONE?

The first item on the menu in the upper right of the screen should be the "End Turn" button. Clicking that will save your game and take you back to the screen where your game is listed to activate or cancel -- except now you'll see a minus sign to the left of your game name. That's okay, it only means you've done things for your turn. If you're ready to email back, you can cancel and go back through the menus to quit the game, or you can Win-key out or alt-tab (if you're feeling lucky or have experimented already about how stable Dom3 is with your operating system!) and keep the game running while you email your turn. But I prefer to quit for emailing.

At any time before or even after you email your turn, you can load up the game and choose to either continue your turn from when you saved it (even after "end turn") or to start your turn over fresh. Just be sure to email your new version of your turn before the server processes it!

HOW DO I SEND MY TURN IN NOW?

Now email your turn back to turns@llamaserver.net

The easiest thing to do is to find where Llamaserver sent you your turn, and reply to it, attaching your new turn to the email. (This is why I recommended keeping your turn!) But if you want to create a new email from scratch that's okay, too.

You can find your new turn by opening the Dom3 folder, the "savegame" folder, and then the folder you created for this game. There should be two files in that folder now, both with the same name (your faction and the age) but with different extensions. (There should never be any more than two files in this folder.) The .trn file was sent to you, and when the server sends you another turn it'll have exactly the same name and will replace this.

The .2h file is what you'll attach to the email and send to Llama. You can put anything you want in the text body (I put nothing), and you can title the email anything you want.

Note that you ONLY send that .2h file. Never send the .trn file, only receive it. (If you send the .trn file by accident don't worry, the server will just notify you that you sent the wrong file, it won't break the game.)

I'VE ALREADY SENT MY TURN BUT I CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT SOME THINGS -- CAN I REDO MY TURN?

Yes, so long as the server hasn't received all players' turns yet. (If you're the last one to send in, too bad!) If you redo your turn, "end turn" will overwrite that .2h file and you'll have to remail it to the server.

I WANT TO DO AN AFTER ACTION REPORT OR STUDY MY TURNS LATER -- HOW DO I DO THAT?

When you generate a new turn, the game will overwrite that file; and when you receive a new turn the game will overwrite that file. So if you plan to do an After Action Report, keep all your sent .2h files and received .trn files separately somewhere like in a special folder of your email.

Then create a whole other game folder in your savegame files, with a name that you can recognize for studying your game. If you put a .trn file into that folder, you'll load up at the very start of your turn; if you put a .2h file in, you'll load up at the end of your turn. Note that you'll need the .trn file for watching battle movies.

That's it. The Llamaserver will email you back a notice if it receives your turn and it scanned okay.  Sometimes however the server burps and this notice is never sent, so don't worry too much about it. It may look like a new turn has already been sent, but once you open it you'll be able to quickly tell it isn't -- most importantly it will have no attachment with a .trn extension.

That may all seem complicated, but that's because I'm discussing some things from experience. The actual process is quite easy once you do it once or twice. Make sure you don't save your received turns to the wrong folder, though!--but if you do can always just move them to the correct folder, the turn isn't likely to overwrite anything (unless you're playing another Middle Age game with the same faction and accidentally save it to that folder instead).

For a FAQ on Llamaserver go here

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

This comment is reserved for the faction list (once we settle on an Age), tracking which factions are still available, and a bit of a description about them.

Members are encouraged to make comments after this one.  :D

Members are also encouraged to post notices on other forums (like Wargamer, Desura, Shrapnel and Matrix) about this game: the map is very large so we'll probably have plenty of room for experimentation even if every faction is chosen.

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

Since this is an experimental game, I'm going to try to activate all ages; but if that doesn't look feasible (like it may break the ability to play other mp games concurrently) we'll just go with Early Age.

JasonPratt

I should add that I still need to test a bit to make sure the OPM6 and multi-age mods won't break other mp games running concurrently, so don't worry about downloading those yet and especially not installing them!

Update 1: Okay, installing OPM6 over CBM1.94 (with overwrites where prompted) doesn't seem to break me playing A Dominion of Grogs. So that's okay.

Update 2: the community sprite pack is certainly not part of CBM1.94 (or OPM6 either), and has to be installed separately, meaning I'll have to activate it specifically for the game back at the server. Only I can't figure out what it's called. I may just reupload it to the server to be safe.

Also, for some odd reason I couldn't find the other two graphic mods in the Llamaserver modlist. Are they part of CBM 1.94 automatically? They can be downloaded and installed separately, I know, but at the moment I haven't been able to activate them for the game at the server.

undercovergeek

1 - am i right in thinking if you dont want the graphics mods it doesnt matter - theyre not essential?

2 - ill take a Hinnom please Jason

so the 2 new mods are good to go?

and as mentioned on the other thread - just go with this map - everyone wants to get immerssed in their nations and practice foul spells on the indies - i dont see anything wrong with everyone having 30 states and then meeting their neighbours with the full contingent of explodey spells

ScottWAR

IF EA I'll take Ermor,....otherwise I'll have to do some research and decide.

undercovergeek

Quote from: ScottWAR on May 19, 2013, 12:43:29 PM
IF EA I'll take Ermor,....otherwise I'll have to do some research and decide.

until big J says otherwise i think its ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL eras - so many choices

JasonPratt

I had originally thought the graphics mods weren't essential, but I created a new mods folder (in case I screwed up the other one with which I'm playing the other two games), and only installed OPM6 and the Banners mods, in order to test whether I could still play the Dominion of Grogs game -- but the game told me I had to have the community sprite pack installed, too!

Whereas I know from the Groghammer game that if I don't tell the server to expect sprite mods from the outset, the game will de-enable them when it loads!

So unfortunately it looks like graphic mods, even when they don't affect stats or any other objective gameplay criteria, are either required or will be turned off by the game.  >:(

Having said that, then, my guess is that we'll require the community sprite pack if I can find it, and maybe the other sprite pack we used in The Big Pretenders. I'll fiddle with that later. First I need to take some time to test whether installing the multi-age pack will mess with our ability to play single-age multiplayer.

(Although if someone already has experience with that, please let me know!--that'll save some time. :) )

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, people can be installing and loading Oeridia (if you already know how to install maps) and checking that out in single player or with the in-game map editor (or with other editing tools or just by reading the map file in a text editor if you want).

While it has no story-specific concepts in it yet, it does have ports and portals (which work in practically identical ways--they both allow non-adjacent neighbor territories), and tunnels (which are special map-edge territories, sometimes reached by portals and usually isolated from each other).

I've also set the specials to 75%, so that there will be an abundance of magical sites to find (and thus magical gems to power up things).

The Indy7 strength rating has provided a good initial challenge in previous games for testing out things and growing stronger, so I'm keeping that here -- unless players decide before gamestart we should notch that up a bit more?

undercovergeek

do we really have to have all the graphic mods as compulsory?

claes

I'd like to try EA Caelum if there are no objections otherwise ;)

byrdman57

Is my understanding that this is going to be an all ages game? I've not even played enough single age games to want to jump into such a thing. If that's so, I'd like to maybe start a smaller EA only game.

undercovergeek

i jason gettin' all fancy - his plan was a game for each era always running but hes been bedazzled by a all eras mod - hes like a magpie