What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on October 22, 2017, 08:40:49 AM
Quote from: bob48 on October 19, 2017, 06:16:23 AM
Can anyone recommend a book covering the general history of the war in the Pacific, please. I've read odd bits, but not a good chronological history.

Costello's Pacific War is widely considered the best single volume treatment of the war.  It is very good.

Toland's The Rising Sun is an cel lent single volume account told from the Japanese perspective.

I highly recommend both.

I'm just finishing Eagle Against the Sun. It's quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Against-Sun-American-Japan/dp/0394741013
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

^Good to hear, that's already on my shelf waiting to be read.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Finished Salem's Lot last night. Enjoyed it, some creepy if not overtly scary scenes. The edition I have also had a couple of short stories also set in Salem's Lot, including a Lovecraftian one set in 1850 that was also very good. Next I think I will read the first book in Victor Foia's Dracula Chronicles series, Son of the Dragon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

That art looks more like Cthulhu: Mafia Buttonman.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

trailrunner

Picked these up at the Pentagon library yesterday.

Gusington

Just started 'Lore' by Aaron Mahnke, based on the podcast and also the new show of the same name on Amazon.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

About to start Book One of the Dracula Chronicles: Son of the Dragon, by Victor Foia.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

About to begin Dracula's Wars: Vlad the Impaler and Rivals by James Waterson.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Reading and very much enjoying Osprey's "Israeli A-4 Skyhawk Units in Combat" by Shlomo Aloni.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Martok

Yesterday, I finished up Five Days in London: May 1940 by John Lukacs.  It takes a look at Churchill's early War Cabinet (towards the end of May, just as the direness of the Dunkirk situation was becoming clear), and the fateful decisions made by its members over whether to negotiate with Hitler or continue fighting.  Interesting stuff. 

Today, I began rereading Chesapeake by James Michener for the first time in over twenty years.  (I stumbled across a used copy at a bookstore a couple months back, and -- recognizing the title -- I had to pick it up.)  Thus far, it's every bit as good as I remember. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Starting Osrpey's Medieval Polish Armies by David Nicolle.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus