Italy in Crisis?

Started by Labbug, May 29, 2018, 06:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

Italy changing governments before it installed a new one.  It probably has happened before to Italy, but still it is not a good situation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/29/italian-voters-brace-for-euro-showdown-ahead-of-snap-elections.html

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Euro dropped, US and German bonds go up.  Italian Bonds fall.

The markets think there is a lot of risk in the EU based on the degree of bond and currency price changes.  I don't know if the Euro will tank anytime soon or not.  Seems like everytime crisis approaches the Northern European countries dump more loans that will never be repaid to Southern Europe and everything shuffles forward.

I'm guessing that the Euro will keep going until one of the Northern European countries rebels and decides not to ship another bunch of cash to Southern Europe.  Can't see Southern Europe dropping out as long as the cash spout keeps gushing, unless they wish to default on their loans and start anew with their old currency.  But to do that requires giving up new cash "loans."

So I'm still betting that if the EU single currency breaks up it will be because one or more of the Northern European countries decides they no longer wish to fund Southern Europe.

Gusington

What about the precedent with Greece? If that didn't get a northern nation to bail already, what will?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2018, 10:49:30 AM
What about the precedent with Greece? If that didn't get a northern nation to bail already, what will?

Brexit?
Any time is a good time for pie.

Staggerwing

Better yet would be a slimmer EU with some of the belly and thigh fat trimmed away.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Belly, thigh fat, and Greece.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

If Italy left the EU, what would it be called? Latin-exit or Latexit? Itexit? Italexit? Maybe Spagetti-exit? See, that's why they should stay in cause you can't make anything catchy out of they're leaving.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 29, 2018, 09:48:44 PM
If Italy left the EU, what would it be called? Latin-exit or Latexit? Itexit? Italexit? Maybe Spagetti-exit? See, that's why they should stay in cause you can't make anything catchy out of they're leaving.

Cosa Nextrit ?

em2nought

Seems like Northern Europe will pay any amount in order to have a sunny beach or two for sunbathing topless while on vacation.   :DD
Stolen elections have consequences.

Pete Dero

Quote from: em2nought on May 30, 2018, 05:01:08 AM
Seems like Northern Europe will pay any amount in order to have a sunny beach or two for sunbathing topless while on vacation.   :DD

No need.  With climate change those beaches will be in Sweden.

Ubercat

Sunbathers in Sweden will have to deal with Sharia law by then.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

airboy

Even for Italy this is weird.  The two populist parties (one on the right which wants a flat tax and to kick out illegal immigrants; and one on the left that wants a lot more welfare and kick out the illegal immigrants) got a combined 50% of the vote.  They put forth a euro-skeptic Prime Minister choice.  This was vetoed by the largely ceremonial Italian President.  Now they are trying to put forth a caretaker Prime Minister who cannot get a majority vote in the legislature and have new elections.

The two parties whcih were screwed are screaming that this is a coup and they are probably right.  The Wall St. Journal editorial suggested that the Italian President made a huge mistake and that the parties which could have gotten a vote of confidence in the Parliment should have been allowed to form a government, which would have quickly collapsed like most Italian governments do (before your gelato melts).

Now the markets are going nuts because they think the Italian voters will react badly to this and give the Northern League and the 5-Star Movement an even bigger majority.

Sir Slash

Europe is too complex for me to keep up with. I like things that are simple. They don't have to be explainable or make sense but they should be simple.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 30, 2018, 10:29:49 AM
Europe is too complex for me to keep up with. I like things that are simple. They don't have to be explainable or make sense but they should be simple.  :coolsmiley:

That's why Europe is the Mother of Wars. And also hella fun to study historically!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!