Greatest Films According to Grogs: The 1991 Elite 8

Started by BanzaiCat, April 17, 2018, 08:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

So the 1991 Sweet 16 earned some commentary on the picks - honestly I expect it. I rank the initial 16 according to what I think are good initial match-ups (e.g., The Howling vs. An American Werewolf, etc.). I could do it by box office intake instead, and maybe I'll do that moving forward with new brackets, but as I've already selected several for the future it might be a few months before I do that.

If there's any opinion either way, just say so and post it here. I figure most comments would be along the lines of "pfft, it's your bracket, do with it what you will," but if it seems more fair to do it according to box office take...and just because a movie is not in the top 16 for a single year doesn't mean it automatically makes it into my bracket. There might be a relatively crap but highly entertaining gem like 'They Live' which will of COURSE make my bracket and will of COURSE be probably pretty low on the income pole for, what was it, 1988 that film came out? My other concern ranking things that way means some films will absolutely dominate, but maybe that's the point and more in tune with what a bracket represents.

Anyway. Your feedback is most welcome, as is yer bitchin'. :)

Here's your Elite Eight for 1991, in the meantime.

BRACKET ONE: 1 vs. 8

1. Flight of the Intruder

8. The Naked Gun 2 1/2

BRACKET TWO: 4 vs. 12

4. Regarding Henry

12. King Ralph

BRACKET THREE: 3 vs. 11

3. The Silence of the Lambs

11. City Slickers

BRACKET FOUR: 10 vs. 15

10. The Rocketeer

15. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

bbmike

Everyone who voted for Terminator 2 over Star Trek VI should be ashamed of themselves!  Shame! :knuppel2:   :hide:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Star Trek VI was barely better than ST V. T2 was far better.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

They had a phaser mounted on the wall in the Enterprise's galley. And oh yeah, they actually had a galley with pots and pans  :uglystupid2:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

And how many female Vulcan proteges did Spock have anyway? Dawg was Spockin on the Academy grads.

bbmike

And when they shot the pot with the mashed potatoes in it, the pot disappeared but the potatoes didn't!
Wait, I'm proving your point.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

So you've just proven that BSG is way better than ST
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

They were Quantum Mashed Potatoes. That part makes total sense. Duh  :crazy2:

mirth

Oh and when Uhura didn't know Klingon...hi-larious!

mirth

mirth

The first time in Star Trek history that Shatner didn't bitch about screen time

mirth