Main Menu

Power Questions

Started by Jarhead0331, March 27, 2018, 06:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

My main gaming system has been running very well for the most part since I replaced the SSD boot drive. However, I've noticed that neither the monitors, nor the system will go into sleep mode,  no matter how I configure the power settings. What is causing this? I've run powercfg -requests to see if anything is demanding power and everything comes up clean.

Any thoughts or ideas?

As an aside, do you guys leave your systems on around the clock, or do you shutdown when you're done with the system for the day. I used to always shut down, but when I started having problems on this system, I would often get a lockup on reboot, so I got into the habit of just leaving it on, and I know that there is a school of thought hat says leaving a system running is perfectly fine and causes even less wear and stress on certain components.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Greybriar

I have always preferred to disable the sleep modes and have no clue as to why your monitors and system will not go into sleep mode. Perhaps you missed a setting somewhere?

I have always turned my computers off when I finish with them for the day (this ever since I bought my first PC in 1989).
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Barthheart

Could your problem be a time out thing? I have my sleep mode set to the longest time out period it has. That way it won't bother me if I leave for a bit and come back.

I always switch off my monitor when I'm done but leave my PC on. I need to shake the mouse to "wake" it up when I come back the next day.

jamus34

Somewhat in the same vein.

I currently have my monitor connected via DisplayPort and when i turn my computer on I need to make sure the monitor is already on or turn it on before the pc finishes POST. Otherwise it will not boot. Thought this is kinda weird.

I guess I should switch over to HDMI
Insert witty comment here.

DoctorQuest

I always shut down overnight. I think there is a myth with computers as there was with lightbulbs. "It takes more power to turn them on than to keep them running." Yeah, it takes a few minutes to start up but I have not been spinning moving parts when I'm not using them.

That being said there are obviously servers and such that run 24x7x365 with no issues. In my previous job my desktop at my work office was on all the time.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

I had similar problem recently.  I'm not sure what fixed it, but after some MS updates last week, the screen is going to sleep again.

As for turning the computer off, I leave mine on all the time.  I figure the amount of power it's drawing at night is pretty minimal.  But working from home, I like to come upstairs some during the day and do a few things on it.  Just don't want to wait for boot up for 10 mins of work, even with an M2 drive and less than 2 mins of complete boot up.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.