Processed foods like bread may raise cancer risk

Started by OJsDad, February 15, 2018, 11:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/processed-foods-like-bread-may-raise-cancer-risk/ar-BBJalZj?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

An NBC News story;

QuoteHere's another reason to eat fresh food: a new study shows that people who eat more highly processed foods such as chicken nuggets and instant noodles have a higher risk of cancer.

It's long been known that eating fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains lowers the risk of cancer. Obesity also raises the risk of cancer, and junk food is full of calories.

But this study, conducted by a team in France and Brazil, suggests that ultra-processed foods carry an extra risk of cancer, above and beyond being nutritionally bad for you.

"Ultra-processed food intake was associated with higher overall cancer risk," the team wrote in their report, published in the British Medical Journal's online publication The BMJ.

"A 10 percent increase in the proportion of ultra-processed foods in the diet was associated with a significant increase of greater than 10 percent in risks of overall and breast cancer," they added.

By ultra-processed they mean very, very processed.

The foods associated with extra cancer risk include:

mass produced packaged breads and baked goods

sodas and sweetened drinks

instant noodles and soups

sweet or savory packaged snacks

industrialized confectionery and desserts

meat balls, chicken and fish nuggets

other reconstituted meat products transformed with addition of preservatives other than salt (for example, nitrites)

frozen or shelf-stable ready meals

Other food products made mostly or entirely from sugar, oils and fats

Less-processed foods such as cheese, pasta and canned vegetables did not raise cancer risks, Bernard Srour of the French national research organization Inserm and colleagues found.

The group used an ongoing survey of more than 100,000 French adults who regularly fill out questionnaires about their lives, including details on 3,300 different food items.

After five years, more than 2,200 cases of cancer were diagnosed in the group.

Other bad habits

The researchers stress that the study does not show that the highly processed foods caused the cancers. People who eat a lot of junk food have other habits that predispose them to cancer, not the least of which is smoking.

But they took into account many of these, including smoking but also age, sex, educational level, family history of cancer, and physical activity — and they still found the link between eating junk food and cancer.

There are several ways that processed foods could in theory raise cancer risks, they noted.

"Firstly, ultra-processed foods often have a higher content of total fat, saturated fat, and added sugar and salt, along with a lower fiber and vitamin density," they said.

Processing also creates carcinogenic compounds, such as acrylamide and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. And these foods are packaged, and chemicals can leach out of the packaging.

"Finally, ultra-processed foods contain authorized, but controversial, food additives such as sodium nitrite in processed meat or titanium dioxide (TiO2 , white food pigment), for which carcinogenicity has been suggested in animal or cellular models," they added.

Other researchers pointed out that ultra-processed foods is both a broad and vague category.

"Results from this study support the claim that the shift in the world's food supply to highly processed foods may partly account for increasing trends in the incidence of non-communicable diseases, including cancer," Martin Lajous and Adriana Monge of the National Institute of Public Health in Mexico wrote in a commentary.

"We are a long way from understanding the full implications of food processing for health and well-being," they added.
Other experts said the advice for preventing cancer remains the same:

Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables

exercise

keep a healthy weight

don't use tobacco.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Have you taken the shrink off Victory Roads and liberty Roads yet??
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

I'm ashamed to admit it, I haven't taken the shrink off of Italian Front yet.   :-[
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Recent studies have shown that taking shrink wrap off of board games may raise cancer risk.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

bob48

Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 11:54:43 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 15, 2018, 11:49:06 AM

Yes, I have!

Well, that's a good start. Now you have to take the lid off the boxes.

Let me know when you've done that and I'll give you the next instruction :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on February 15, 2018, 12:01:55 PM

Yes, I have!

You're a swell guy!

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on February 15, 2018, 12:06:49 PM
Quote from: bob48 on February 15, 2018, 12:01:55 PM

Yes, I have!

You're a swell guy!

You just figured that out about Bob. 

mirth

With all those frying pans he's taken to the head, there was bound to be some swelling.

OJsDad

I thought he was born with that swelled head.  The hits from the fry pans was a vain attempt to shrink it.

GDS_Starfury

No surprise the french found no danger in cheese.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.