D&D Core Books

Started by airboy, February 10, 2018, 02:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I'm less than 4 years away from retirement, so I decided to buy the last of the new core rule books for D&D.  I ordered the Monster Manual, DM Guide and Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

I've about purchased everything I want that is currently out Call of Cthulhu wise, so now I'm gathering the D&D stuff.  I'm probably going to replace a bunch of my Judges Guild stuff because it is almost 40 years old and the paper deterioration will kill my allergies.  Probably just wait for RPG Now sales to pick it up.

Unfortunately, most of my RPG gaming for the next couple of years will be at Conventions.

bbmike

^Out of curiosity, why didn't you get the Player's Handbook?

[edit]Oh, and I am about the same amount of time away from retirement!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Quote from: bbmike on February 10, 2018, 02:45:36 PM
^Out of curiosity, why didn't you get the Player's Handbook?

[edit]Oh, and I am about the same amount of time away from retirement!  O0

Good question - I bought it previously.

Bison

Did you go digital or paper?

Dammit Carl!

Is 5e "not that bad?" Won't say that I didn't like 3e (and 4e is...well...), but was curious 'bout the new kid and I generally trust what you people say.

Bison

I really like 5e.   You can download a free copy of the basic rules from WotC, which are essentially just missing the additional races and classes.  The bloat is slowly coming out in the other books, but frankly its so far mostly some new subclasses, spells, and fluff for character background information.  The core three books are really solid IMHO.

airboy

I got them in paper since I use them as reference books.

I also like 5e.  I don't want to play a miniatures tactical combat game.  The new Dungeon Masters Guide tries to get you to think through your world design and flavor as the first step.  Most of the core rules are in the Players Handbook.  I've not really played much since 1984, so the visualizations in the Monster Manual are a little jarring to me.  The rules are pretty streamlined.  They are flexible enough that you can shape quite different worlds with them.  I think I like it, but only playing will tell and I have four years to go until retirement.

Bison

Well give me some time to sort some personal life stuff out and I'll try and revive the Grogs Fantasy Grounds group for some VTT gameplay.

MetalDog

^ In!  If my time allows. 

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on February 14, 2018, 08:07:32 AM
Is 5e "not that bad?" Won't say that I didn't like 3e (and 4e is...well...), but was curious 'bout the new kid and I generally trust what you people say.

And I just got done running an 18 month home brew with neophytes and everyone had a good time.  So 5e is good by me.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

So your all done with your campaign MD?  Not starting another one?

MetalDog

I have to admit, it was because I was burnt rather than coming to a conclusion.  I've got quite a bit coming down the line in the next few months that won't allow for much leisure time.  But, when I get everything on an even keel, I will start another.  This time with more experience and better organization  :bd:

Bison

Cool.  Yeah sometimes its easy to get burnt out DMing especially if you are the sole manager and motivator of the cats.  Besides starting a new campaign in few months will let you put your experience to practice.

Toonces

I've heard from people that would know that 5e is the best version in a while, like the cut through the BS and really listened to the community and built the game that the players wanted.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

It's a pretty solid edition of the game.

MetalDog

I won't lie, Toonces, it's a lot more roll playing than role playing.  At least from what I was brought up playing.  But, they've made it so your low level characters have a chance to survive and grow powerful.  I think it's a good balance.  But I am a bit more visual than I am at imagining, so, it helps me get into it more.