Decades Feeder Bracket - Wild Card 80's Week 1 Final 8

Started by MetalDog, January 16, 2018, 07:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Any time I see three ties, and two other close votes, I know I did good.  And that's what we had here.  Even got most of the seeding right.  Lost my number 1 though.  Figured Brant would jigger it so it would win and he could tell us again how great Bon Jovi is ;)  Looking through this round, I see a lot of potential for just about any song to win it.  I even have a secret suspicion about one of them.  So now that you've got'em, have at!

The 8/16

The 4/5

The 3/6

The 2/10

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tuna

Tuna

BanzaiCat

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Love Shack was maybe a good song the first 50 million times I heard it back in the day on the radio when you had little choice as to programming (choices being limited to the 80s station, the classic rock station that played the same 40 songs over and over and over again, the sixteen Tejano stations, or AM talk radio).

bayonetbrant

The problem with Love Shack is that it's really the only B52s tune that most stations will keep in their catalog for their 80s programming.  You might occasionally get Rock Lobster, which is worse. 

You don't ever get Channel Z or Roam or Deadbeat Club or Private Idaho.  Just changing up which B52s tune you're stuck with over and over makes a huge difference.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 17, 2018, 10:40:29 AM
You don't ever get Channel Z or Roam or Deadbeat Club or Private Idaho.  Just changing up which B52s tune you're stuck with over and over makes a huge difference.

Very true. Overplaying "hits" doesn't do these bands any favors.

MetalDog

The whole 'Cosmic Thing,' album was pretty good.  I included, 'Love Shack,' because it's so catchy and familiar.  If I thought they had a chance, I would have included something else by them (not 'Rock Lobster').
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

I'm not arguing it's worthiness of inclusion. I still don't like it ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tuna

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 17, 2018, 10:40:29 AM
The problem with Love Shack is that it's really the only B52s tune that most stations will keep in their catalog for their 80s programming.  You might occasionally get Rock Lobster, which is worse. 

Well I'm glad I have no clue about those other songs, cause the B-52's just plain suck!