Decades Feeder Bracket - Wild Card 80's Week 1 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, January 14, 2018, 06:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

After 160 songs in a decade, you would think finding 96 more would be easy.  Not so.  There's still copious amounts of great, great songs and pairing them up is no joke.  So what I am going to do is try to find the most difficult matchups in as many genres as I can.  That may not please some of you, the difficult ones OR the matchups, but, I really want these choices to be all inclusive.  It would be much easier if I just included a narrow spectrum of genres, but that wouldn't be any fun or representative.  So I am including all that I have knowledge and even a slight taste for.  But you knew that, didn't you? ;)

As always, I hope you have fun doing these and that you agonize, even if just a little, over checking the virtual box to vote for your 'favorite.'  And thank you so much for following along and voting. :)

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

The Piña Colada song just always struck me as a 70s tune.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

More good music in this single bracket than all of the 90's brackets combined.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Sorry folks.  Things went sideways on me today and it looks as if the 60's and 70's Wild Cards will have to wait for tomorrow.  Which may work out better as there will be a new round in each poll for the next 42 days  O0

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 14, 2018, 06:30:12 PM
The Piña Colada song just always struck me as a 70s tune.

I think it was released in late '79, but it charted strong in '80.  So I included it.  Did that for a lot of end of decade songs actually.

Emeraldlis

I really loathe the love shack song  \m/ I remember exactly where I was when I first heard it. Sitting in a friend's house, and it came on the TV. And I couldn't turn the TV over.... And I was waiting for my friend, so I couldn't leave either! That song is like nails on a chalkboard for me! HATE IT  :pullhair:

Other than that... Great bracket :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

trailrunner

Staggerwing

Quote from: trailrunner on January 15, 2018, 06:50:23 PM
I predict the Pina Colada song will get zero votes.

Thus insuring that some wiseacre will vote for it just because.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Emeraldlis

It might be me  ;D Lol, I was sorely tempted to vote for pina colada  :D But, I'm a big fan of queen, soooo..... Common sense prevailed! Just  :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog