Walmart Closes 63 Sam's Club Stores

Started by BanzaiCat, January 11, 2018, 07:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on January 11, 2018, 09:37:41 PM
So I don't get this. America is the home of unrestricted Capitalism and you all are complaining that Wal-Mart is doing everything in it's power to make money... ie succeed at unrestricted Capitalism....
If the all mighty dollar is the be all and end all the why the tears?

Part of it depends on who the money is being made for.

I do not favor a system in which we legally require a transfer of wealth from the rich to the poor.

I would, however, prefer that the boardroom-level folks look around and think "Hey, I've already $4.4 billion in the bank.  Maybe I only make $400 mil this year instead of $500 mil and take the other $100 mil and spread it across my employee payroll and see if I can't get some folks up from $40k/yr to about $65k/yr, or hire an extra couple of folks and give everyone an extra week of vacation each year so they can see their families a little more.  Maybe it's not about just piling up as much Scrooge McDuck-level cash as I can and it's about taking care of the people that make it possible for me to be here."

We've completely lost the mindset that while greed can be a good, powerful, motivating force in competition, it doesn't hurt to share the spoils with the rest of your team.  Be greedy on behalf of your company by wanting to beat the other guy.  But don't be greedy within your company by hoarding all the spoils.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 11, 2018, 09:51:25 PM
So I don't get this. America is the home of unrestricted Capitalism and you all are complaining that Wal-Mart is doing everything in it's power to make money... ie succeed at unrestricted Capitalism....

I do not favor a system in which we legally require a transfer of wealth from the rich to the poor.

I would, however, prefer that the boardroom-level folks look around and think "Hey, I've already $4.4 billion in the bank.  Maybe I only make $400 mil this year instead of $500 mil and take the other $100 mil and spread it across my employee payroll and see if I can't get some folks up from $40k/yr to about $65k/yr, or hire an extra couple of folks and give everyone an extra week of vacation each year so they can see their families a little more.  Maybe it's not about just piling up as much Scrooge McDuck-level cash as I can and it's about taking care of the people that make it possible for me to be here."

We've completely lost the mindset that while greed can be a good, powerful, motivating force in competition, it doesn't hurt to share the spoils with the rest of your team.  Be greedy on behalf of your company by wanting to beat the other guy.  But don't be greedy within your company by hoarding all the spoils.

I agree with all of that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

DoctorQuest

Quote from: MetalDog on January 11, 2018, 10:58:48 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 11, 2018, 09:51:25 PM

I agree with all of that.

What always amazes me is that we take a deadly sin (greed) and put it on a pedestal to be worshiped in the name of Capitalism. While I will agree there are much worse systems than capitalism you do wonder if we've lost some of our humanity (or in some cases, Christianity) by resigning ourselves to the fact that greed is the only motivator for business decisions.

On the other hand there are stories of companies that do understand that happy employees are productive employees.

Yeah. I'm a dreamer...  :dreamer:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 12, 2018, 12:29:57 PM

Don't let Trump hear you say that or he'll try and send you back to Cote de Guadeloupistan
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 12, 2018, 07:41:59 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 12, 2018, 12:29:57 PM

Don't let Trump hear you say that or he'll try and send you back to Cote de Guadeloupistan

Don't think I didn't consider that when I posted that reply.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

BanzaiCat

em2nought

It would be much worse if they just sat on their hands and did nothing like a Kmart, Sears, or Scotty's Building Supply.  Scotty's was virtually the only deal in town in Florida for hardware at one time.  They never bothered to alter a thing til they were gone.

Walmart should diversify, and turn some of those Sam's Clubs into climate controlled storages for people to keep all the Chinese junk they buy from Walmart and Sam's.  :DD
Stolen elections have consequences.

Staggerwing

They're turning a bunch of those Sam's Clubs into eCommerce hubs for Walmart's Online business. Having those distribution centers spread out across the country is supposed to allow them to do quicker free shipping to customers, possibly even same day in some locales.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

It is probably what they need to do to stay competitive but I still think the thing was badly handled.

MetalDog

Walked into my local Walmart today.  Saw a pick up kiosk where the self check out registers used to be.  They moved those over and took out staffed registers.  Had one of the checkers last week tell me they were eventually going to go self serve checkout only.  That makes me sad.  I hate those things.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Greybriar

Quote from: MetalDog on January 13, 2018, 05:34:45 PM
Walked into my local Walmart today.  Saw a pick up kiosk where the self check out registers used to be.  They moved those over and took out staffed registers.  Had one of the checkers last week tell me they were eventually going to go self serve checkout only.  That makes me sad.  I hate those things.

I hate self check out registers, too. One day last year I was picking up a few things at Wal-Mart and looking for a check out that wasn't too busy. A Wal-Mart employee said, "I can help you over here." I followed her to a self check out register and she started to check me out (it was then I found out she was a supervisor). I objected and told her I didn't want to use a self check out register, but it was too late. My final shot was that Wal-Mart would eventually replace her with a machine and she said, "Never." We'll see about that--let her and others like her get the axe like their fellow Wal-Mart employees did after they knifed them in the back.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I really don't like the self check out registers either. As much as I hate people I prefer a person at the register.

That said, the Walmart near me (about 25 minutes away) is a hive of scum and villainy and I never go there either.

I feel like Amazon, as well as the internet as a whole, was created created just for me.

I don't like to see people ever lose their jobs though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I don't like the self-checkout registers much either, but I find myself using them because they tend to be faster than the regular checkouts.

I stopped shopping at Wal-Mart about 6 months ago. I got tired of the person at the door asking to see my receipt every time I was leaving the store and then treating me like a thief if I said, "No, thank you".
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

The main reason I don't like self check out is because most people are idiots and can't check themselves out. Which leads me back to the warm, moist embrace of Amazon. Come to me...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd