Main Menu

The Duelists

Started by Jarhead0331, January 11, 2018, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I had never heard about this 1977 Ridley Scott film staring Harvey Keitel and Keith Caradine up until a few days ago. It takes place at the beginning of the 19th century during the Napoleonic war and is about two young cavalry officers in the French army who fight a series of duels against one another over a period of about 20 years. Their hatred of one another grows so strong, despite suffering together during the Russian campaign, they forget what they are even fighting about. I thought the uniforms, backgrounds and sword fight choreography were very well done.

Overall it was an enjoyable film and I'm not sure how I missed it all these years.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I actually own this movie DVD...very solid, especially if you are into Napoleonics.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I used to have it on VHS; unsure if I upgraded to DVD (certainly not Blu).

I like it quite a bit. Scott's first film iirc.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Been meaning to watch it for years, but kept forgetting about it.

Hoped it would eventually show up on a streaming service or something.  A-Prime usually has a large host of similarly old movies getting dumped on there regularly.  *shrug*

WallysWorld

Truly weird that this thread was created today about this movie as just last night I marked the movie to watch as it's on Hollywood Suite (Sony movie channels) in Canada tomorrow. I always wanted to see it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

undercovergeek

That's because jarhead can see us all through our TVs

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Thanks for the heads up on this. Sounds like a good flick.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

Yes I think Pratt is right and it is Ridley Scott's first major movie...ha yes this was even before his Apple commercial! Who knew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridley_Scott#Early_films

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Nefaro on January 11, 2018, 12:38:39 PM

Hoped it would eventually show up on a streaming service or something.  A-Prime usually has a large host of similarly old movies getting dumped on there regularly.  *shrug*

I have Sling and it is available on the Tribeca Shortlist channel. I'll have to give it a watch.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 11, 2018, 06:28:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 11, 2018, 12:38:39 PM

I have Sling and it is available on the Tribeca Shortlist channel. I'll have to give it a watch.

Saw it listed on that "Tribeca Shortlist" sub somewhere when I looked earlier today.  Think it was an A-Prime or Hulu option.

Thing is... I'm not really sure what the hell else is on the Tribeca Shortlist channel.  Will dig around sometime, I suppose, and see if it has more.

Also:

What was that late '70s Kubrick film about the Irish nobleman who becomes an officer around the same period, and gets into all kinds of crap?

Dammit Carl!

Seeing this when but a wee lad made me love period pieces and movies with good, "honest,"  fights.

Pretty sure you'll like it plenty.

besilarius

This should be suggested viewing for all wargamers.
Great piece of work and a lot of  fun.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

@ Nefaro: Barry Lyndon. Another great movie...even better than The Duelists.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd