Main Menu

Darkest Hour

Started by JudgeDredd, December 21, 2017, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

I've only watched season one so far. I almost shrieked in horror in the last episode when Winston threw his portrait on the bonfire! Important art lost forever.... Stuff of nightmares, lol.

I'll keep an eye out for the episode in season two with Edward the 8th. I knew he had nazi sympathies, like other members of the aristocracy at the time. But it'll be interesting to see that portrayed on screen. I enjoyed watching that whole drama unfold when he abdicated the throne and did a runner with Wallace Simpson.

That sounds like you have an interesting marriage then Gus, if it's like Lizzy and Phil  :bd: He makes me laugh with his gaffs. I think most of them are unintentional, a case of him speaking before he thinks, lol, but he's definitely entertaining! Something is obviously working for them, because they're still together :)

Now I feel old, after what you've just said about your daughters! I remember the queen mother for goodness sake... Sheesh, that makes me feel my age  :o  Time to rebel and act immature, just to counteract the oldness  ;D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Gusington

I remember the Queen Mother too! She was 100+ years old when she died, IIRC. That's a damned good run.

The Edward VIII episode is the 7th one of the second season, and has a German title.

I knew very little about his Nazi sympathies so it was eye opening for me, to say the least. I wish the episode was a full length movie - that's how good it was.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Emeraldlis

Thanks for the heads up on that Gus  O0  I'll look out for episode 7!

Yeah I'm sure she passed the hundred mark... Thank goodness we remember the end of her life and not the beginning  ;D I don't think we'd be talking about her daughter otherwise!

I shall do the right thing... And binge watch season 2  :D can't wait to get to that episode now!!!!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

Gusington

It's very difficult not to binge watch that show 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I've just been to see this. I really enjoyed it. His acting - Gary Oldman - was fantastic I thought.
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

I've seen bits and pieces of it (Mom and Dad are bingeing it after Bro and Ishy did), and I didn't even realize Lithgow was playing Churchill until one particular scene when his... Lithygowness?... stood out all of a sudden. I mean he suddenly sounded and looked facially more like himself. (Did different actors play him in flashbacks or at different times or something?)

Also, I have to wonder if Lithgow will attempt a trifecta someday, since he has also played a wonderful FDR with Bob Hoskins (iirc) as Churchill and Michael Caine as Stalin, in When Lions Roared (the first TV miniseries shot for high definition, long ago). I love those performances like cake.  :smitten:

So we should expect Lithgow as Stalin before dies, so that the circle will be complete.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Caught it tonight.  Excellent film!  I wish it had gone on another hour so we could see the abattle of Britain play out.

Sir Slash

Totally agree. Maybe a follow-up will.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Makes me want to watch the early seasons of Foyle's War again.  Love the sense of quiet desperation they invoked during the earliest stages of the war when the threat of invasion seemed imminent. 

Emeraldlis

Saw this at the cinema last weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it  :bd: I thought Gary Oldman portrayed him really well, but I thought the rest of the cast were excellent too. Winston was definitely a force of nature! It didn't even feel like a 2hr movie, felt shorter, which goes to show how entertaining it was :)

I still like John Lithgows portrayal from the Netflix series the crown. And I was wondering if I would keep comparing the two actors different portrayals of Winston throughout the film. But I didn't, which just goes to show how great theses two actors are, that they can both own the character.

Quote from: Gusington on January 03, 2018, 03:43:43 PM
It's very difficult not to binge watch that show 😎

Yep, I pretty much binge watched the second series! There was some great episodes in that, could definitely be turned into movies  O0

BanzaiCat

I can't find a thread on it, so this seems as good a place as any to ask, has anyone seen The King's Speech?

It looks amazing and I'll see if I can find it around, but am interested in y'alls thoughts on it.

Airborne Rifles

It's good. Not particularly focused on the war, though. It's really the story of one man's struggle against his speech impediment and the therapist who helps him. I enjoyed it.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 31, 2018, 11:53:49 PM
Makes me want to watch the early seasons of Foyle's War again.  Love the sense of quiet desperation they invoked during the earliest stages of the war when the threat of invasion seemed imminent.

I loved Foyle's War!

BanzaiCat

Another two movies to add to my queue, now.

Emeraldlis

The King's speech is excellent. It really gives you a sense of how much courage he had, not many of us have our personal struggles on public display. But he did, and he was the type of guy who preferred to stay out of the public eye. But when his brother Edward the King gave up the throne, he was thrown into all that, plus he had this speech impediment to deal with. And it's cool to see the techniques his speech therapist used, which were unusual at the time. I think the actor who played the therapist is Australian, can't remember his name off hand, but him and Colin firth really make this film with their friendship. It's a cool film, very entertaining  O0