Altered Carbon (Netflix 2018)

Started by Nefaro, December 09, 2017, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

wife started watching it w/o me today, so I need catch up on the first episode before we go on
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Destraex

Considering watching this as I have netflix (the neutered Australian version).
You guys seem pretty mixed about it though. I really enjoyed the new bladerunner. Is it like that?
Somebody said the production quality was low, for something like this it needs to be heavy on the detail and production quality.
I guess it could not hurt to waste an hour.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Wes

I thought they did a very good job on it. They stuck to the spirit of the book (which had fairly graphic sex scenes) and it did kind of do Blade Runner 2049 one better because they got the visuals right for the world as described in the book. 2049 had people working on it that couldn't resist the temptation to reproduce LA how they thought it was suppose to look instead of how it should have looked based on the original (understand that I thought 2049 was excellent EXCEPT for blowing it with the visual aesthetic of LA).

Favorite moment from Altered Carbon: The scene with Lizzy when you realize the music rising in the background is one of your favorites (The Kills - Future Starts Slow).

It had some repetitive parts and would drag down every now and again but over all I give it an 8/10 and RIYL if you like cyberpunk material in general.

Just my 1.3 cents (adjusted for inflation).
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Jarhead0331

I'm surprised to hear that the production quality is "low". I've heard exactly the opposite from some of my colleagues at work, who claim the production values are extremely high. They rave about it, so I do plan on watching...once I get through the rest of Stranger Things and Black Mirror.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Wes

Production quality was fine for a series. Some of the CGI is noticeable but overall it was fine. Just wished they had hired the guy who choreographed the fight scenes in the first John Wick...that would have been awesome.
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Wes on February 08, 2018, 06:16:36 PM
Some of the CGI is noticeable but overall it was fine.

Pretty much this. I've only caught the first episode so far but there were some shots where it wasn't quite polished (such as the roof/air car view after it skidded across the rooftop lawn in that first episode). But that's easily overlooked because it's not bad looking and the story is pretty good.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 08, 2018, 05:46:52 PM
I'm surprised to hear that the production quality is "low". I've heard exactly the opposite from some of my colleagues at work, who claim the production values are extremely high. They rave about it, so I do plan on watching...once I get through the rest of Stranger Things and Black Mirror.

The CGI, in parts, wasn't that great.  That was the criticism I had. 

Overall not bad.  Not amazing, either.  It works well enough.

Gusington

Just watched the first episode, I thought it was great and will definitely watch the whole thing. I can't see how anyone would rate the production quality as 'low.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on February 10, 2018, 06:52:03 PM
Just watched the first episode, I thought it was great and will definitely watch the whole thing. I can't see how anyone would rate the production quality as 'low.'

It's a good series.  I wholly recommend it.  For adults anyway.   :o

bbmike

I'm about to wrap up binge watching Game of Thrones. I'll add this to my "consider watching next" list.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Yeah I would NOT watch Altered Carbon with the kids.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

I've got one episode in and I can't decide whether I like it or not. I'm going to try another one and see what happens. I generally like Joel Kinnaman, but for some reason he seems outta place in this series.

undercovergeek

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 26, 2018, 11:58:09 AM
I've got one episode in and I can't decide whether I like it or not. I'm going to try another one and see what happens. I generally like Joel Kinnaman, but for some reason he seems outta place in this series.

It's a grower with each episode - I'm at 5 and enjoying it

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus