Main Menu

Howdy!

Started by RommelFox, November 22, 2017, 03:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RommelFox

Hi All,

I've been a lurking around for a bit and decided to join.

I'm a avid history nerd, cigar and pipe tobacco smoker and try to fit a game in my limited being a parent free time.

In terms of wargames played, I really haven't played any of the more advanced/hardcore games, but I want to try and get into some.  I don't have much experience with the operational level games, so I'm looking at picking up Decisive Campaigns:  Barbarossa.

I do have Panzer Corps, and it's enjoyable, but I find myself just not enjoying it as much as others seem to. I play a bit of a scenario here and there, and that's about it.  With the sales going on right now, I was thinking about trying Germany at War, but I wonder if it's very similar to Panzer Corps? 

The Slitherine/Matrix (Slitheratrix as I like to call it) sale is calling me.

Look forward to conversing with everyone.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Welcome aboard. Cool profile pic!  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Welcome.

I think you'll find Germany at War much like PanzerCorps... at least I did.

Decisive Campaigns:  Barbarossa is a fantastic game. If you have any interest in the front and the history of the war there it's great fun to play.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: RommelFox on November 22, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
The Slitherine/Matrix (Slitheratrix as I like to call it)

I've been referring to them as "S&M" for a few years now :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

trailrunner

I'm a avid history nerd, cigar and pipe tobacco smoker and try to fit a game in my limited being a parent free time.

Welcome from an amateur history hobbyist and weekly enjoyer of cigars.   O0

bbmike

Welcome to Grogheads, RommelFox!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

RommelFox

Quote from: Barthheart on November 22, 2017, 03:20:56 PM
Welcome.

I think you'll find Germany at War much like PanzerCorps... at least I did.

Decisive Campaigns:  Barbarossa is a fantastic game. If you have any interest in the front and the history of the war there it's great fun to play.

Thanks for the welcome and info.  I believe there is a demo for Germany at War, so I might give that to spin to see if I find it too similar. 

I'm excited to try out Barbarossa, seems like a lot of fun.

Quote from: trailrunner on November 22, 2017, 03:26:19 PM

Welcome from an amateur history hobbyist and weekly enjoyer of cigars.   O0

Thanks!  Sounds like we should go ahead and become best friends.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 22, 2017, 03:21:04 PM
The Slitherine/Matrix (Slitheratrix as I like to call it)

I've been referring to them as "S&M" for a few years now :)

That's good haha

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

JudgeDredd

Welcome Rommelfox.

Decisive Campaigns:Barbarossa is a superb game. And the manual is a sight to behold.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Welcome Rommelfox!

One of our members, MikeGER, is also an avid pipe smoker. I personally gave it up a while back when I also gave up cigarette smoking but I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally miss both.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Welcome RommelFox to the Grogheads, the original inspiration for the Star Wars cantina scene. I mean, Episode 4: A New Hope. Gotta add that kind of thing around this crowd or else somebody will get their dongle in a blender about it. Looking forward to trading posts with you.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 22, 2017, 07:31:51 PM
One of our members, MikeGER, is also an avid pipe smoker.

Indeed  O0   (i don't have a big collection only a few pipes and pipe smoking not on a daily basis, but frequently, esp when sitting contemplative in the garden) 

Welcome RommelFox  :)

bob48

I was a pipe smoker for a lot of years, but gave up smoking about 3 years ago. I must admit, I still miss the rituals of pipe smoking.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

I used to know a girl that'd 'smoke your pipe' for you.  ^-^  She was very popular even with non-smokers.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.