Net Neutrality Round 2

Started by airboy, November 21, 2017, 11:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Don't you guys know businesses are self-regulating and only have the consumers best interests at heart?

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

Seriously, though.... If the ISP biz was truly competitive we may not need to worry about NN but how many of us really have a choice of ISPs? I certainly don't. I can't shop for ISPs like I do for milk.

No one LIKES regulations but, like laws, we have to deal with what to do about the folks who don't want to play nice. I don't like taking my shoes off at the airport because ONE bozo tried a shoe bomb but I'll put up with it for the sake of the safety of the community.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

airboy

As I said at the start, the Obama Admin used 1930s utility regs on the internet and it was not good.

Congress has not acted on rational regulation law.

So we are at a crossroads.  Really stupid 1930s regulation, Congress passes something rational, or minimal regulation. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on November 23, 2017, 02:11:28 PMReally stupid 1930s regulation, Congress passes something rational, or minimal regulation. 

Well, we've seen that minimal regulation screws the customer, and the current Congress is likely to pass whatever sucks up to big corporate interests (i.e., screws the customer) or we leave the 1930s regs in place for now.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Given the current Congress, I'll take the 1930s regs.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

And we'll continue to lie to your faces

mirth

Quote from: airboy on November 23, 2017, 02:11:28 PM
As I said at the start, the Obama Admin used 1930s utility regs on the internet and it was not good.

Not really true though. That's just a talking point from Ajit Pai.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/made-by-history/wp/2017/11/27/what-fcc-chair-ajit-pai-gets-wrong-about-net-neutrality/

QuoteThe Clinton-era FCC initiated its policy for Internet access along these lines in 1998. It classified ISPs as information services, the decision celebrated by Pai to treat them with a "light touch." But Pai omits a crucial fact — the FCC mandated open access to the underlying telephone networks that ISPs used to provide dial-up Internet service. So, yes, ISPs such as AOL were classified as information services. But the era's dial-up Internet depended on telephone lines, which the FCC aggressively regulated through nondiscrimination requirements that protected net neutrality.

mirth

mirth

RedArgo

also, from John Oliver's show, a somewhat direct link to post to the FCC

www.gofccyourself.com

click on new filing and fill out the form

mirth

bbmike

^FIOS just came into our area (keep in mind I live in Capitol Hill!). I'm currently considering switching over from Comcast.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on November 30, 2017, 09:18:16 AM
(keep in mind I live in Capitol Hill!)

You live in Capitol Hill? Cool!

Are you a Hobbit or Morlock?