Decades Feeder Bracket - 1997 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, November 12, 2017, 12:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 12, 2017, 07:50:03 PM
Whoa.  :o Emeraldlis, have you never heard of Dave Matthews Band? That surprises me; I thought he was international. Maybe not.

Dave was very stateside
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: trailrunner on November 12, 2017, 08:15:34 PMDave Matthews was sort of local (Charlottesville VA). 

Dave came out of the same Southern college town circuit as Ryan Adams, Old Crow Medicine Show, Superchunk, Drivin' & Cryin', Black Crowes, Hootie & The Blowfish, R.E.M, and Gran Torino, but then again, Mountain Express, Capsize 7, the Olskies, Dead Cut Tree, Sex Love & Money, Annabel Lee, and I Nine all played the same circuit and no one knows who any of them are.  Chris Daughtry was playing that same circuit before he hit it big on American Idol and skipped some of the club days.

I can still rattle off the list of towns & clubs those guys all played on that loop, because I know a lot of people that were on the road out there.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on November 12, 2017, 09:06:38 PMEspecially for someone from South Africa.

Just look at his singles list...  outside of a few in Canada, he barely charted outside the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Matthews_Band_discography#Singles

BanzaiCat

bobarossa

Yeah, I thought Dave Matthews was international too.  On the other hand, I have never listened to a Will Smith song and hope to never again.  I listen to rap about as often as I hear my brother say something political I agree with.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: MetalDog on November 12, 2017, 08:53:19 PM
Dave Mathews is one of my very favorite performers!  You are in for a treat, Em!  It'll be fun to post up some of my favorites in the Jukebox thread for you.

I can totally see why... Or hear why, lol, you dig this guys music :) of course I'll go check out what you've posted on the Jukebox thread  O0 thanks for doing that, I'm looking forward to hearing your selection!!!! It's a lot of fun to discover new music  :D
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 12, 2017, 09:15:17 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 12, 2017, 09:06:38 PMEspecially for someone from South Africa.

Just look at his singles list...  outside of a few in Canada, he barely charted outside the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Matthews_Band_discography#Singles

Well that explains why I've never heard of him before  ;)  maybe I'm not such a music dunce after all!!!!! You posted some really cool background info as well on him and other bands, I enjoyed reading that  :bd: I see just one of his songs, the space between, made it to 35 in the charts in the UK. I'll be interested to listen to that.... See what I've been missing out on all these years!!!!

Thanks for the info guys :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog