So, if you have 250 mill, you can buy the TV rights to Lord of the Rings...[SOLD

Started by JasonPratt, November 08, 2017, 08:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

So, if you have ONE! BILLYONNN! DOLLLLARRSSS! (plus 250 mill to buy the rights), you can produce a tv series about the Lord of the Rings.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/102931983/sir-peter-jackson-could-be-joining-amazons-billiondollar-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series

Oh, and then Peter Jackson might help, maybe.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

FIVE SEASONS OF WHO EVEN KNOWS WHAT REALLY!  :buck2:

Edited to add: hm, I thought I had read earlier that McKellen was already in talks to return as Gandalf, but that article suggests no one has even asked him yet. (Not that I overly care, though he was a fine Gandalf -- he showed in interviews he didn't understand the character at all, but that's how good an actor McK is I guess.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

I'm going to change my name to, "Tolkien" to get a cut of that $250 Million.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 03, 2018, 10:33:10 PM
I'm going to change my name to, "Tolkien" to get a cut of that $250 Million.  ^-^

If I was still in broadcast production, I'd want to get on board with the production company and get a sliver of that 1 billion! Lots of work for someone out there.

Perhaps Electronic Arts will sense money in the water, and find a way to release their now-classic LotR games on GoG/Steam/etc. now... (And convert their PS2 games to modern platforms. And make ponies fly...  :'( )

JasonPratt

ARISE MEN OF NUMENOR!

The Amazon series stands revealed as being set in the Second Age! We're getting (at least some parts of) the Silmarillion!! Which I suppose I'll have to learn to spell now!  :hide:

No idea if this is five seasons of the Second Age, but considering they're having to compete against an (apparent) commitment to film the whole Wheel of Time series (with some books in the middle compressed, thank God), then they might well be. There's a ton of content to work with, and even some characters still around in the film series later to make tie-ins.

MetalDog

It's great to speculate, but, I won't believe it will get off the ground until I hear it is in production.  Having said that, if I was to get what I wished, I would like to see them tie in as many of the important happenings in the Second Age as possible.  Maybe using each season to see things from Elves, Men, Dwarves, and Sauron's viewpoint, and then tying it altogether in the fifth season.  What I would REALLY love to see is The Silmarillion from beginning to end.  Anyone who saw LotR would have a much greater appreciation for the epic span of time brought to a close with Gollum falling into the Crack of Doom.  And there are as many stories as you could want.  Some already fleshed out, Turin, Beren & Luthien, to the times between the great battles of Dagor Bragollach and the Nirnaeth Arnoeid (sp?).  There is literally years of programming there if they want it.  I just want them to be true to the source material where present and stay in the spirit for the stuff you invent.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on June 24, 2020, 10:52:16 PM
I just want them to be true to the source material where present and stay in the spirit for the stuff you invent.
+1 million to this.  I'm totally down for a series set in the Second Age, but as long as it's faithful to Tolkien's material & vision, I'll be happy regardless of when/where it's set. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Word is that the Tolkien estate is keeping a firm leash on proceedings, and will insist on all key details being included unchanged (probably with provisions for convenience in staging and filming.)

They can get pretty picky on details, too, although they don't always have intellectual-property control at that level: they would have preferred for the films NOT to show pumpkins for example, and praised a game (Lotro if I recall correctly) for intentionally omitting those as a crop in Middle-Earth.

Destraex

Looks like the firm leash was let loose. The trailer looks very much like I would expect from Hollywood these days. The purchase of a big name to get people to go see something only loosely related to the lore. Looks like JJ Abrams has had some influence on this one. It seems that Amazon has seen off the Tolkien advisor they had and are running free in the jungle with nothing to stop them from burning it down.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MikeGER

Quote from: Destraex on February 15, 2022, 07:16:39 AM
Looks like JJ Abrams has had some influence on this one.

from what i have read and seen so far
looks like Jar Jar Binks has had some influence on this one too   :-\

wouldn't be astonished if he even is also in the series ...just for diversity, and Gungan rights  ;)

oh wait, StarWars is Disney, so no ;D