Zweihander Grim & Perilous - FREE until Nov 1

Started by Nefaro, October 30, 2017, 04:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

dude - thanks! that's awesome :)

I always liked the setting from WFRP, but the rules never resonated w/ me.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 30, 2017, 06:23:14 PM
dude - thanks! that's awesome :)

I always liked the setting from WFRP, but the rules never resonated w/ me.

:bd:

I don't really like d100 systems in general.  They just seem like you're playing the odds, with that percentage chance always in your face.   Like Spock or 3PO calculating the odds every time.  Not to mention the hordes of die roll modifiers you have to remember to add & subtract from the rolls/difficulty.

However, the setting and all the mechanical extras, such as the Professions and the chaotic magic system, is great.   

This one just looks like an updated 2nd Edition WFRP in a single large tome, with some minor mechanical adjustments and IP-specific names scrubbed.  The minor changes remind me of the kind that recently took place with the latest Call Of Cthulhu version (also d100) too.  Which were good improvements, IMO, but they're still polishing a straight percentile roll that will inevitably have multiple modifiers and special rules.

I had managed to pick up most of the 3rd Edition WFRP stuff before GW pulled their IP license.  The one with the system that's the basis for FFG's Star Wars rpgs, and their upcoming generic one based on same.  Despite all the extra pricey bits in WFRP3, such as cards and counters, I like the dice pool mechanic far more than the old d100 accounting game.  Just drop good or bad dice in for each modifier as needed & done.   :bd:  But the amount of info in Zweihander is impressive.. 692 pages.  ^-^

EDIT:  Also finally got around to running an FFG Star Wars game earlier in the weekend, and it just reinforced my love of dice pools.  Even ones involving custom dice. 

Nefaro

If you prefer something a little bit WFRP-like, but which uses primarily a d20, then check out Shadow of the Demon Lord

It took some inspiration from WFRP's more flexible profession system and a dark fantasy setting.  More streamlined than some rpgs.