The "Holy %$%# It's Cold Out There" Winter 2017 Thread

Started by mirth, October 27, 2017, 07:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

26 F here right now. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 55 F or so.

bayonetbrant

15° here right now.  Sun's out tho, so hoping the sledding hill is better today than yesterday
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MikeGER

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42731505

yesterday hunkered down at home in the strongest winter storm since 10 years

i was just in the middle of the path, my area measured gusts of 126km/h, and sustained winds in the 80ies. lots of downed trees and damaged roofs in my county and even major roads interdicted... local police department urged people via twitter and media to stay the f. inside
Thank God, the large trees in the garden survived and on first sight no damage to my properties, will have to inspect the pantile layers from inside in detail to be sure that no tile moved out of its latching... 
was quit a nail bitter experience

Pete Dero

^We were on the edge of the storm with windgusts around 100 km.  Looks like The Netherlands and parts of Germany got the worst of it.
And this was the second storm in a couple of weeks ...

Extremely unusual for this time of the year.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

:o Holy crap, that's some wind. Even when using that cute little metric measurement that y'all use. ;)

Seriously, glad you guys are okay.

38F here this morning. Been in the 30s for close to a week now. And by Sunday it will be 75, so back to the roller-coaster temperature ride.

bayonetbrant

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/montreal-man-fools-police-with-fake-car-made-of-snow

QuoteMONTREAL (KMSP) - Simon Laprise had a plan, some snow and a couple hours to spare.

The result? A delightful picture of a lone police officer, staring skeptically at a car parked in a snow removal zone, ticket book in hand. Little did the officer know, however, that it was all a trick.

The 33-year-old machinist and artist from Montreal was hoping to prank snow removal crews in his neighborhood with a fake car he made after a storm Monday, modeled after the Delorean DMC-12 of Back to the Future fame.

Laprise's coup de gras was a real windshield wiper he had found across the street while working on the project, placed inconspicuously as if it were the only exposed part of the car.

The police soon came to investigate because it was parked was in a snow removal zone, only to discover after some time that the car was made entirely of snow.

Officers did end up writing Laprise a ticket--one that said, "You made our night hahahahaha :)"

All good things must come to an end, however, and snowplows destroyed Laprise's creation the next morning.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Pete Dero

Images from Schiphol (The Netherlands) yesterday.

We can't complain - it is nothing like the hurricanes the US and other regions have.

It is just that storms like this in the winter used to be very rare but are becoming the new normal.  This is most worrisome for my neighbours in The Netherlands as a large part of their country is below sea level (http://www.netherlands-tourism.com/netherlands-sea-level/).

Barthheart

Great video. Love how the planes' main landing gear looks like they're reaching for the ground for something to hang on to.

Lots of fun landing in high winds. On a flight to Geneva, as we came in to land, lots of wind and turbulence, plane bouncing around. At about 100m the plane suddenly drops about 50m! Engines scream to full power and we abort the landing and go around to try again. Lots of screaming on the plane... me... I'm grinning 'cause it's fun and the pilots did everything exactly right.

JasonPratt

Ice here is finally thawing out. No more contiguous ice sheets on the road!  :bd:

Seven days is more than enough.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!