Tomb Raider Movie

Started by OJsDad, September 21, 2017, 07:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

jamus34

Can't be worse than Emilia Clarke playing Sarah Conner
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

So it's like the plot of the recent reboot, but different. (Note to self: I bought the sequel on sale last year sometime, haven't gotten around to it yet...)

It does at least seem like it'll be less like my review from five years ago. ;)

QuoteJust like the TV show, this Green Arrow origin story has a weird insistence on refusing to acknowledge "Green" or, now, even "Arrow" in the title -- and takes it farther by not even letting Ollie wear green or even use a hood, though I guess that's to be expected since it all takes place on Flashback Island. Also, Ollie is a non-spoiled non-***hole girl, which is admittedly different, and the purgatory island is WAAAAAY cooler and much more extensive. I felt bad for Ollie, or Laurel or Lara as they call him here, merging his character with not-Black-Canary I guess -- or maybe this is supposed to be Sarah from the show? There's practically no continuity with DC comics in this game, but maybe there were licensing considerations, unlike the TV show which throws in lots of DC material but sometimes shakes up how things fit together. Like how in the show he mostly fights Batman villains (which is understandable as Green Arrow doesn't have many good villains of his own, and they're apparently building a TV justice League again with him in the Batman role, except better than that Smallville show which ran for 10 years and convinced the CW network that people would really like a Green Arrow show as he was one of the better characters on it. I lost my train of thought. Oh, right.) But here, he's a she and she's an archaeologist in training.

Also, SPOILER ALERT, even though Laura is ready to be Green Arrow at the end of the story, she doesn't go full GA on the island but, weridly, finishes off the main villain with two handguns at the last moment -- something she had never once done before in the whole game. I guess that's to throw players a curve about whether she'll really become Green Arrow or not, but the forthcoming sequel which will only be available for XBOne seems to suggest she'll be back to... Brown Arrowing, I guess? No hood yet, still.

Anyway. It's a great game for what it is, very brutal, makes it easy to see how Laurel could have leveled up to Green Arrow status in only a couple of weeks at most, though of course being a game they fast-forward a lot of that development: she starts out being reasonably good at arrow shooting already, for example, but since she has practically no support helping her that's okay. And I like how the Island is a lot more like the one in Lost.

Oh, and there are tombs occasionally for Laurel to explore, which I guess is where the title comes from, though Ollie was never that interested in raiding tombs. Looks like they're going to stick with that new trait in the sequel: Tomb Raider, Return of Graphite Point or whatever code name they finally give her since it doesn't look like it'll be Green Arrow yet or maybe ever.

If they would just drop the attempts at tying it to the TV show, I think this could be a good separate franchise starter in itself -- and to be fair, maybe that's what theyre doing in the sequel.

8.5/10 even if you're not a Green Arrow fan. Or maybe especially if you're not.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Uh.. what was that middle part again?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Basic Hawtness agreed to but not exceptional Hawtness displayed. I like a little more 'jiggle' in my ass-kicking women. But that's just me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 25, 2017, 06:50:54 PM
Basic Hawtness agreed to but not exceptional Hawtness displayed. I like a little more 'jiggle' in my ass-kicking women. But that's just me.

+69

mirth