Main Menu

Black Day

Started by Jarhead0331, September 18, 2017, 04:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Stumbled upon the early access title in new steam releases. I almost wrote it off due to the uninspired title, but upon closer inspection, it actually looks very good...particularly for a one man indie project. I've heard that the developer was a creator of A+ mods and content for several titles in the ARMA series.

Anyway, I splurged and will report my findings at earliest possible convenience.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/696650/BLACK_DAY/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Looks good....can't wait to hear some impressions.  Just curious, is it all infantry and lone wolf missions (without squad)?  I am ok with all infantry (actually prefer it), but would be nice to have support elements.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jomni

Reminds me of Metal Gear.

Greybriar

The image looks cool enough. If I were more into shooters (translation: I'm too old and my reactions are too slow  :'(), I would probably buy it.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2017, 04:30:15 PM
Stumbled upon the early access title in new steam releases. I almost wrote it off due to the uninspired title, but upon closer inspection, it actually looks very good...particularly for a one man indie project. I've heard that the developer was a creator of A+ mods and content for several titles in the ARMA series.

Anyway, I splurged and will report my findings at earliest possible convenience.

setting the parameters for Funny and easy sounds good to me.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 18, 2017, 05:20:53 PM
Looks good....can't wait to hear some impressions.  Just curious, is it all infantry and lone wolf missions (without squad)?  I am ok with all infantry (actually prefer it), but would be nice to have support elements.

I asked the developer this question and there is no squad presently. He would like to add them eventually, but makes no promises.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Thanks....will keep my eye on this one.  Just hope realistic missions and doesn't turn out to be you against 100 enemies.

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 18, 2017, 07:27:48 PM
Thanks....will keep my eye on this one.  Just hope realistic missions and doesn't turn out to be you against 100 enemies.

Well it's gots mechs like Metal Gear so there goes your realism.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2017, 04:30:15 PM

you want to get an interview with the guy?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on September 18, 2017, 07:36:15 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 18, 2017, 07:27:48 PM

Well it's gots mechs like Metal Gear so there goes your realism.

It only has mechs if you want them. You can choose to make it as realistic or sci Fi as you want. there are a lot of options to tweak in the sandbox mode.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Well...its a real mixed bag at this point. The terrain and modeling has some real potential to make this a pretty good alternative to Ghost Recon Wildlands, but it has a long long way to go. The UI is very rough and the mechanics are not fully fleshed out. Weapon control and combat feels "off" for several reasons. Enemy AI is fairly close to brain dead on low difficulty levels. I will, of course, increase the challenge and see if this changes gameplay in any way.

I appreciate what the developer is trying to accomplish here. For the average gamer, however, the asking price of $25 is a bridge too far. It is very early on in development, so we'll see how things go over time. If there are frequent updates, I'll be encouraged.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

How Sandbox is it compared to ARMA3?