Decades Feeder Bracket - 1995 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, September 17, 2017, 04:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

1995 has proven to be a year of highs and lows for me.  Some of my favorite songs by big bands are in this poll.  And some of the songs I despise the most are here as well.  And because of that, I found it very difficult to pair songs for the initial round.  Some were easy, like Dave Mathews Band versus Blues Traveler, or No Doubt versus POTUS.  But I didn't have a clear take on what I wanted as my top seeds.  So I would say that of all the polls I've put out since the first few, I find this years Round of 16 the least satisfying in my attempts to seed.  As always, I expect you will sort this out to (some of) your satisfaction.  Thank you for voting!  And putting up with crazy seeds!!

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Ouch.  This was brutal.  There's only one of those that was a slam dunk for me, and the rest might could even go the other way depending on what mood I'm in.

1-16, 5-12, and 6-11 were just evil.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Tuna

lol. will have to come back to this after work. By name, I only know one song!

Staggerwing

If 'Lump' doesn't win it all I will be severely disappointed.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 18, 2017, 06:29:17 AM

tangentially related...  with peaches being on sale / in season around here right now, I find myself humming POTUSA "Peaches" a lot in the grocery store these days

[yt]https://youtu.be/wvAnQqVJ3XQ[/yt]
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 18, 2017, 06:29:17 AM

also tangentially related...  Weird Al's "Gump" was one of the the best parodies of all time.

[yt]https://youtu.be/hQwWaWFjd0Y[/yt]

Steelgrave

Weird Al's just the best....some of his songs are better than what he's parodying  O0

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

jamus34

Some hard choices...some songs didn't agree with but much like 94 (and I'm going to assume 96 when it comes around) this was my heyday of listening to the radio for 8+ hours a day.

Kinda surprised no Bad Religion for 94/95 - Stranger than Fiction was a huge hit here with multiple singles.

Anyway keep up the good work MD
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Quote from: jamus34 on September 18, 2017, 08:28:11 PM
Some hard choices...some songs didn't agree with but much like 94 (and I'm going to assume 96 when it comes around) this was my heyday of listening to the radio for 8+ hours a day.

Kinda surprised no Bad Religion for 94/95 - Stranger than Fiction was a huge hit here with multiple singles.

Anyway keep up the good work MD

Thanks for the good words!   O0

Gotta say, I didn't know Infected was a Bad Religion song.  Then again, if you had asked me to name a Bad Religion song, I would have told you I couldn't.  Now I can name one.  Good tune and i liked it when it came out.  I have much respect for punk, but, was never a big scene kid.  I was mostly AOR growing up.