Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by steve58, September 06, 2017, 10:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: OJsDad on September 13, 2017, 06:21:38 PM
https://twitter.com/hwelectric/status/908104283517804544

According to what residents are being told, it could be a month before some of the Lower Keys get back electricity.

Just found out that my folks' house is still standing and has it's roof. It did flood inside but after Hurricane Wilma they replaced the first 4 feet of drywall with some kind of flood-proof wall board so here's hoping...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

Still nothing from Slash??
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 13, 2017, 06:36:36 PM
Just found out that my folks' house is still standing and has it's roof. It did flood inside but after Hurricane Wilma they replaced the first 4 feet of drywall with some kind of flood-proof wall board so here's hoping...

O0
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

I'm going to guess that Slash just has no power. Hopefully nothing more serious.

I didn't know that waterproof floorboard existed, 'Wing. Good to hear.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Has anyone heard from Slash yet.

bob48

Very worrying. Hope he's ok and it is just a power-out problem, although that's bad enough.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

I hope he and his are ok.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Yeah, really hope he's okay.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

I'm trying to track down some secondary info on him and check on him
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Alive and on-line again. And damned disappointed there was no wake for me here.  >:(  Actually got power back yesterday morning but just got my internet and computer hooked back up.

The eye of Irma came right over my house at 9:30-10:00 pm Sunday. I was damned surprised as we lost power about 6:30pm when the forecast was for her to steer up the coast-- she just screwed up everybody's forecast didn't she?  ;D  I was expecting another good hour of storm when it suddenly got quiet outside and I thought it was really strange so I used our only working land-line to call my brother 2 counties north and he says, "The eye's over your house right now". Next thing I think is, "Oh shit. We got the whole rest of the storm to go through now". But he told me the storm was breaking-up on it's southern side so we got some more wind and rain but the worst was past.

Irma was a scary Bitch. We got some flooding when the ditches outside backed-up over the tarp and sandbag dam me and  my Son-in-Law had built to keep it out and came in my back door but the carpet got soaked was all. I was really afraid when my chimney began to leak thinking if the brick came loose it'd be game-over but she held together in the end.

Lots of people got hit much worse than we did, some a lot worse. The downtown part of Arcadia had some buildings tops ripped off and the whole area was closed-off until yesterday. There are six highways in and out of town and only one is still open even today, all the rest closed because of ongoing flooding. The official Rainfall Amount was 6in. here but that's got to be way off target. I've lived here my whole life and never the waters this high.

Altogether we came through very well thanks to the God-sent help from family and friends and have been returning the favors as well as we can. Thank you all for your heartfelt prayers and good wishes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

awesome to hear you're OK :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Glad you made it through safely, Slash!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus